McRoberts to return for sophomore season

After speculation that he might enter the NBA Draft, freshman Josh McRoberts announced Wednesday he will return to the Blue Devils for his sophomore season. "I am very excited about my decision to return to Duke to continue my academic and athletic career," McRoberts said. "I love the atmosphere at Duke and the support the University receives from the community. There is no place better to play college basketball."

The announcement confirms what McRoberts said after Duke's loss in the Sweet 16 to LSU-that he will pass up the opportunity to be a potential lottery pick in the NBA Draft.

McRoberts struggled at times early this season, but came on strong late and emerged as a talented forward who could dominate with the ball in his hands. In the final two months of the season, he averaged 10.4 points and 6.3 points per game. Some had speculated that he would leave Duke for the opportunity to make millions in the NBA, but he said Wednesday he valued the opportunity to stay at Duke.

"I am looking forward to working with the coaching staff to further develop my skills as a player," he said. "The relationships that I have in place here played a major role in my decision. I am anxious to see my bond with Coach K, the rest of the staff and my teammates grow even stronger."

"Additionally, I am eager to continue to build on several relationships that I have developed in the community through working with our outreach programs," he said.

Share and discuss “McRoberts to return for sophomore season” on social media.