SPORTS  |  COLUMNS

It's time to support Duke again

After a season of waiting, it finally happened.

It had been said in media rooms throughout the year that for a photographer to capture a Shelden Williams smile in a picture was the equivalent of a reporter knowing Coach K's actual salary-that is to say it is a rare privilege.

But March 20 in a press conference the week leading up to Duke's Sweet 16 matchup with LSU, Williams was all smiles. He sat in front of a room full of reporters recounting the dinner he had thrown for his teammates the previous night. He talked about the obstacles he had overcome in his time at Duke and the sacrifices he had made.

Earlier that week, ESPN The Magazine had run a story about how rape allegations involving Williams' high school team during his senior year had forced the 6-foot-9 big man to become somewhat of a recluse and fearful of unfamiliar members of the media. It revealed the importance that his roommate Lee Melchionni-rarely seen without a smile-had played in Williams' transformation from the timid player who first set foot on campus four years ago to the senior All-American.

So when Williams-who is normally succinct and reserved in his conversations with the media-spoke freely and openly at what would be his final press conference in Cameron Indoor Stadium, it was as if his growth was complete. Having attended nearly every men's basketball team press conference during the past two years, I can honestly say it was the happiest I had ever seen him.

It was Williams' way of saying, "I have put my past behind me, and I am better for it."

Williams' development was a product of four years of mentoring from one of the best motivators and teachers in America, of the support of his teammates and of immersing himself in the Duke experience.

The past month and a half has been an extremely difficult time for the entire Duke community. The rape allegations against the men's lacrosse team that have captured the attention of the nation have left a black mark on the University and the Athletic Department.

But forgotten amid the media frenzy have been stories of student-athlete triumphs and the pride that Duke students take in the classmates that represent them on the field-regardless of whether they are competing on national television or in front of a small crowd at Koskinen Stadium.

I often joke with my friends that they can only use the word 'we' to talk about a Duke athletic team, not when they reference the New York Yankees or Philadelphia Eagles. They can talk about professional teams as 'theys' all they want, but 'we' is reserved only for the Blue Devils.

It might seem like a matter of semantics, but I believe there is a big difference that is even more apropos given the current situation.

We all attend the same classes, eat at the same places and live in the same dorms-athletes and non-athletes alike. We share many of the same experiences during our four years in Durham.

And it seems to me that all of that has been forgotten.

This past year, I've had the unique privilege of serving as sports editor of The Chronicle, following virtually every pitch, shot or goal involving a Blue Devil team. I've witnessed the tremendous amount of passion that Duke athletes play with and the support they receive from their friends and classmates.

It's a collaborative effort-student and student-athlete. It's a 'we.'

Over the past month and a half, it hasn't been that way. Being a part of Duke and cheering on its athletes has not been a source of pride. Rather it has been perceived as a source of shame.

College athletics engage people's emotions in a manner professional sports never could. We shared in Abby Waner's anguish when she crouched at center-court as Maryland celebrated its national title just beside her. But that's because we also rejoiced with her when the Blue Devils made it to the NCAA title game.

We lauded the men's tennis team for their remarkable comeback to win the ACC Championship and rallied behind the women's lacrosse team when it snapped Northwestern's 31-game win streak to move up to No. 1 in the polls.

And when I listened to Williams win over the media room that day, I couldn't help but get chills. I felt like I shared in his sense of accomplishment because I had watched and witnessed so many steps along the way.

Duke has had its ups and downs this year, but there have been far more highs than there have been lows.

So it's time for all of us to move on. It's time that we celebrate the accomplishments of our student-athletes and once again look to our teams for a sense of school pride.

So in this, my final byline as sports editor, I'm going to throw out objectivity for a change.

Let's go Duke.

Share and discuss “It's time to support Duke again” on social media.