SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Healthy squad to meet Hokies

This week the Blue Devils have enjoyed something they haven't had in their competitive dual-match schedule for the past two months-rest.

In the final week of their regular season, the No. 3 Blue Devils (17-6, 9-2 in the ACC) faced two teams ranked in the top 15. Duke played No. 12 North Carolina and No. 11 Virginia, in addition to Virginia Tech to complete an exhausting three-game stretch.

After losing, 5-2, to Virginia Sunday, the top-seeded Blue Devils needed a break before beginning the ACC Championships today at 9 a.m. against the ninth-seeded Hokies in Cary. Virginia Tech (12-4, 3-8) defeated Georgia Tech, 4-3, Thursday.

"We took a couple of days off after the weekend to get our legs back," head coach Jay Lapidus said. "I feel like we're healthy and pretty fresh, as fresh as you can be at this time of the year."

For the past two years, Duke has suffered from injuries during the ACC Championships, hampering its run to the title.

Last year, the fifth-ranked Blue Devils lost to the No. 45 Tar Heels in the first round despite sweeping them one week earlier in the regular season. Duke played without current senior Stephen Amritraj, who suffered from a torn ACL, and graduated senior Peter Schultz, who was out with pneumonia.

In the 2004 season, senior Jonathan Stokke-who currently plays the second singles position and in the first doubles pairing-could not play the ACC Championships with a wrist injury.

Now, the story is different. The Blue Devils are healthier and more energized than before.

"This year, we really, really, really made it a priority to win the conference first," Amritraj said. "To win it would be a great stepping stone for the NCAAs."

His teammate, senior Ludovic Walter, has been more focused since his loss against Virginia's No. 1 singles player.

"We worked on his forehand for 45 minutes," assistant coach Ramsey Smith said. "I only think he's had a few bad matches. It really motivated him to work harder for the next couple of days and I think he's really ready to go."

The top-seeded Blue Devils received a bye into the quarterfinals of the tournament by earning one of the top four seeds. Duke pummeled Virginia Tech, 7-0, in the regular season.

Share and discuss “Healthy squad to meet Hokies” on social media.