Freiman excels at DH in return from injury

As the ultimate utility baseball player, Nate Freiman can do much more than just pitch.

So when an ironic twist of fate and a sickening "pop" literally tore apart any preconceived notions Freiman had about his season, the freshman was by no means finished.

The highly-touted right-handed ace partially tore the ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow of his throwing arm during the first inning of his first appearance on the mound in the Blue Devils third game of the season.

"I got through two hitters and then like the third hitter, my elbow-it pretty much just popped I guess," Freiman said. "That's pretty much the only way to describe it. I just felt it."

Fortunately, the ligament tear was not serious enough to require Tommy John surgery.

Instead, the 6-foot-8 freshman underwent seven weeks of daily rehabilitation, including electric stimulation, ultrasound therapy and lasers. After watching almost half the season from the dugout, Freiman's other versatile qualities have been utilized by the Blue Devils-his power hitting as a designated hitter and unshakable positive attitude-to form a deadly combination.

"We've put him right in the three-hole, and he certainly gives us a presence in the lineup," head coach Sean McNally said. "He's just really excited to play the game, he's passionate about it. It was very tough for him to sit and watch for 27 games, and his energy has been great. He's excited to be in the lineup, and he's going to help us with any capacity that he can."

Freiman's return to the Blue Devil offensive lineup is purely a product of effort not luck-the hurler's only game-day superstition is extra batting practice at the tee-which has paid off with impressive numbers.

While he still is unable to field because of the injury, hitting does not jeopardize the health of his elbow. At the plate, the freshman is leading the Blue Devils with a .333 batting average and is second-best with a .551 slugging percentage.

On and off the field, Freiman's teammates have been excited about his return. Fellow freshman Matt Williams said Freiman is a great, nice guy who is the most polite and courteous person he has met in his life.

"He's handled [his injury] with grace the entire way through," Williams said. "I've never even heard a negative thing out of his mouth pertaining to his injury. He's just kind of accepted it and was like 'Well, this is what happened, I'm going to move on, I'm going to get better.'"

In Freiman's first series back, he returned home to Massachusetts and laced three home runs, two of which came in the series' rubber game against Boston College. His homers helped lift Duke to a 14-7 victory April 2 that clinched the Blue Devils' first ACC road series win in two years.

"He's a really, really good hitter to all fields," Williams said. "Physically, he hits fastballs really, really well. He's an extremely hard worker. He's always working on his swing, and he's always working on his fielding abilities trying to make himself better. He works really hard just in everything he does, like with his rehab and everything-with that he's already back and throwing the ball. Pretty soon he'll be able to play defense in a game, not just hit."

The role change from pitcher to hitter was not as drastic as it sounds for the naturally athletic player. Freiman was never a career hurler, but the summer after his sophomore year of high school, Freiman was catching when someone suggested he give pitching a try just for fun.

The rest is history, as Freiman then excelled on the mound his remaining two years of high school and was recruited by Duke to join the pitching rotation.

Freiman said he is wary to push his arm too hard due to the risk of re-injury in the remaining 12 games of the season.

Instead, he is focusing on what he learned on the bench and is enjoying being back in the game.

"I'm just doing whatever I can," Freiman said. "I learned a lot during the period I was injured. I observed a lot. I saw a lot how the game was played. I guess if nothing else it just makes me appreciate being able to play, being healthy that much more.... I've had a good time coming back; it's really just fun being back in the lineup."

Share and discuss “Freiman excels at DH in return from injury” on social media.