D.C. lawyer to support lax families

A group of people close to the Duke lacrosse team has hired Bob Bennett, President Bill Clinton's former lawyer, to help defend their confident belief that members of the team did not sexually assault an exotic dancer at an off-campus party March 13.

Bennett, a former federal prosecutor and Washington attorney, represented Clinton in the Paula Jones sexual harassment case. He is now representing the Committee for Fairness to Duke Families, a group concerned with the allegations made against the lacrosse team.

"It is unfortunate that members of the Duke community, players and families are being judged before all the facts are in," Bennett said in a statement. "A lot of innocent young people and the families are being hurt, and unfortunately this situation is being abused by people with separate agendas. It is grossly unfair."

Prior to taking the case, Bennett also recently represented Judith Miller, a former New York Times reporter, in an investigation into the leak of a CIA agent's identity.

He has joined the collection of people who are concerned about the reputation of both the lacrosse team and the University, but he is not expected to represent any players directly.

Earlier this week, defense lawyers announced that results from all 46 DNA tests taken from current members of the team were negative and thus do not connect any members of the team to the alleged attack.

No charges have been filed.

Despite the negative DNA test results, District Attorney Mike Nifong said he will continue to pursue the allegations that a North Carolina Central student was assaulted at a team party on Buchanan Street March 13.

Nifong has declined requests for an interview.

He said at the forum he still believes a medical exam of the alleged victim shows that a crime occurred.

Family members of players on the team have recently spoken out against the investigation. Brian Loftus, the father of Dan and Chris Loftus, two members of the team, questioned why Nifong is still going ahead with the case against the players.

"I don't understand it," Loftus said.

The family of Devon Sherwood, a freshman goalie and the only black player on the team, also said the DNA results should end the investigation.

Sherwood was the only player not tested because the alleged victim said her attackers were white.

"I'm just glad that that ordeal is over with," Chuck Sherwood, Devon's father, said. "Hopefully as we progress with the case, it will show that all of the players will be exonerated ... of any wrongdoing at all."

Tim Whitmire, a reporter for the Associated Press, contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “D.C. lawyer to support lax families” on social media.