Bands Highlight ARTSFest

The Duke - UNC rivalry is moving off the basketball court and onto the stage with the second inter-school Battle of the Bands. The competition, one of ARTSFest's bigger events, will pit Duke bands against UNC bands.

The Duke lineup features reigning champions Pulsar Triyo, as well as the bands Running Lights and Alexander Street. UNC will offer up Sweater Weather, The Busy World and Heads Down Thumbs Up.

"Last year's battle was pretty long, since we had five bands from each school, and the quality of the music wasn't that great." said Njeri Mathu, chair of Duke's All Campus Entertainment. "This year we shortened it, with three bands from each school. We also decided to have preliminary auditions before the actual battle to pick the best bands."

The returning bands were supportive of the new setup. "It'll make it easier for people to stick around and watch the whole show," said Casey Trela of Sweater Weather.

Mathu also said this year's Battle of the Bands would be more intense and "battle-like" in contrast to a typical concert. "We're trying to get the audience more involved by including some kind of audience voting system into the judging," she said. "Voting will also get us a larger audience since bands will push to get all their fans to attend the battle."

The winning band will receive a prize package very similar to the one the winners received last year. The package included a gig at the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh, recording time at Osceola Studios, a gift certificate to the Music Loft, $500, and a CD release party at the Armadillo Grill.

The competition will be judged by various individuals who are prominent in the local music industry. Judges will cast their votes based on categories such as professionalism, musical ability/quality, originality and onstage appearance.

"I have no expectations going into this," said Dick Hodgin, a second-time judge and record producer. "Last year's battle was pretty good. I was surprised it ended up as well off as it did, considering how these types of shows are usually clunky, but the technical crew did an excellent job."

Hodgin also said that his experience in judging would help him make his decision on Saturday without any preconceived opinions. "I'm good at making spot judgments. I know never to have any expectations so I won't get caught up in something not being met."

With this year's mix of veterans and newcomers, all six bands said they are extremely enthusiastic. "I am very impressed with the setup of the battle this year, especially the auditions and prize package," said Ian Holljes of Running Lights. "I think the timing this year is also much more appropriate in terms of the weather and its inclusion in the April ARTSFest."

"I am totally stoked about this Battle," added Jon Mackey of Heads Down Thumbs Up. "I'm really good friends with the other two bands who will be representing UNC. I've also met the bands from Duke, and they all seem like great guys. I'm really looking forward to dukin' it out!"

Battle of The Bands is this Saturday at 6:00 p.m. on Main West Quad.

Share and discuss “Bands Highlight ARTSFest” on social media.