UNC runs through tough bracket

Thrown into a tough regional bracket, top-seeded North Carolina had to beat national powerhouse Tennessee to get to the Final Four. In the second round, UNC had to take down Vanderbilt in the Commodore's home arena in Nashville, Tenn. In the Sweet Sixteen, point guard Ivory Latta had to hit a game-winning layup with 2.8 seconds left for the Tar Heels to squeak past Purdue.

But for the Tar Heels, winning despite the circumstances is nothing new. In the nation's top conference, North Carolina survived its run through the gamut this season, without breaking stride-almost.

There was one stumble in UNC's run this season, against Maryland, the very team the Tar Heels will play Sunday in their Final Four game.

The Tar Heels fell to the Terrapins, 98-95, in overtime Feb. 9. North Carolina redeemed itself, however, against Maryland in the ACC Finals March 5 in Greensboro, when it captured the conference title, 91-80.

"I will tell you, [it was] just a tremendous game by two great teams that I hope we see back at the Final Four playing," Maryland head coach Brenda Frese said after her team's loss in the title game. "North Carolina did a tremendous job today. They were extremely aggressive."

The Tar Heels' aggressive play has been key to their success this season. Embodied in the play of Latta, who was recently named to the AP All-America first team, UNC brings a tenacity to the court that troubles many opponents, apparent in its 33-1 record.

The trio of senior La'Tangela Atkinson, sophomore Erlana Larkins and junior Camille Little join Latta in helping to create a seamless squad that works together to attack and pressure opponents. The Tar Heels force 13 steals per game, second in the nation.

"They do a great job with their traps and you don't see it everyday so it's very hard to prepare for," Duke head coach Gail Goestenkors said Jan. 29 after the Blue Devils' loss to the Tar Heels. "They're the most athletic team in the country and it's difficult to prepare for that."

As part of what many call the most competitive conference in the country, it's not surprising that North Carolina and Maryland will meet again in postseason play. With an ACC title already in hand, the Tar Heels will have to beat Maryland again Sunday for the chance to win the school's second National Championship.

"They are a great team," North Carolina head coach Sylvia Hatchell said of the Terrapins March 5. "They are young. They are going to be tough for a long time. But we are learning more about them and how to play them, you know. We did a few things today that really made a difference that we learned from when they beat us in Chapel Hill."

Share and discuss “UNC runs through tough bracket” on social media.