Maryland relishes underdog role

Maryland has been surprising people all year, but the Terrapins are not surprised at all to be in the Final Four-in fact, they expected it.

When their Regional Final game against No. 5 seed Utah went into overtime Monday, there was no doubt in the Terrapins' minds that they would pull out the victory.

"Overtime is our time," freshman Kristi Toliver said after Maryland defeated the Utes 75-65. "I didn't worry about it."

The Terrapins have been surprising people ever since they handed No. 1 North Carolina its only loss of the season Feb. 9. Earlier this month when most ACC fans had already penciled in Duke and UNC for the conference championship game, Maryland stunned the Blue Devils with a 78-70 victory in the semifinals. It was their first win against Duke in 15 tries.

Although UNC defeated the Terps to repeat as ACC Champions, the teams will meet for the third time this year in the first game of a Final Four that features three ACC schools.

Maryland got to the Final Four as a No. 2 seed in the Albuquerque Region. Before their overtime victory against Utah, the Terrapins surprised some by dethroning last year's National Champions Baylor in the Sweet Sixteen, 82-63.

Although Maryland was picked to-and did-finish third in the ACC this season, the great play of the young Terrapins team has been consistently overshadowed this season by the Tar Heels and Blue Devils, the conference's top two teams.

While Duke and UNC have faced high expectations all season long, Maryland enjoys its role as the underdog of the ACC.

"I love it when the media continues to hype up the Carolina schools," Maryland head coach Brenda Frese said. "This team is motivated by any challenge you give them, and they definitely responded."

Despite the Terrapins' motivation and the confidence they gained from their previous victory over UNC, they will need to perform as well in the post this Sunday as they did in their victory at North Carolina. After grabbing 22 offensive rebounds in that win, Maryland could not match the Tar Heels' rebounding effort in the ACC Final.

Although UNC features a veteran starting five, Maryland's lineup includes just one upperclassman. The Terrapins' young lineup, however, is not unprepared for UNC. As the second-highest scoring team in the nation, the Terrapins will be able to keep up with the fast-paced, high-scoring Tar Heel offense. An offense that is run by point guard Ivory Latta, one of the most explosive players in the country and a first-team All-American.

"She's the engine that makes our offense go," North Carolina head coach Sylvia Hatchell said.

If Maryland guards Toliver, ACC Rookie of the Year Marissa Coleman and junior Shay Doron, who blocked Latta's buzzer-beater in February's win, can shut down that engine, then Maryland may see the winner of Duke-LSU in the finals. If they make it there, it will just be the latest shock in a season of surprises for the Terrapins. You can be sure, though, they will have expected it all along.

Share and discuss “Maryland relishes underdog role” on social media.