It's been a rough week

Last week was one of the worst at Duke during my four years on campus. First, we lost back-to-back ACC basketball games against unranked Florida State and UNC. Second, the women's basketball team suffered a stunning defeat against Maryland during the ACC tournament semifinals. Finally, in an unprecedented feat of underhandedness, the administration effectively ended the social scene at Duke for the foreseeable future by purchasing the bulk of off-campus houses.

Platitudes aside, we know why the administration bought the student leases, and we can be sure by the sheer magnitude of the purchase that all parties involved engaged in intensive, covert negotiations for a significant period of time.

I do not think the underclassmen understand the ramifications of such a purchase. In spite of the rumored relaxation of underage drinking regulations on West, the residence coordinators and resident advisors continue to maintain a vigilant watch over the hallways. Two new fraternities may have gained sections in Edens, but they hardly compensate for the loss of the entire off-campus scene.

I have no doubt that the Duke's ad hoc realty agency will attempt to complete its sweep by negotiating with the handful of other realtors who own the remaining properties. I understand that the neighbors are delighted by the purchase. For those who have lived off campus for years, I sympathize with the noise and filth depreciating their property values. But I have no sympathy at all for those who knowingly moved next to fraternity houses during a period of decreasing social options on campus.

As it has been said ad nauseam in this paper, we are college students and we want to party before we begin the monotonous bore of adult professional life. I agree with the school and local neighborhood council that the current situation is absolutely untenable, and I cannot help but laugh at the absolute absurdity of trying to develop programs for orienting students to off-campus life. But I did not expect the administration to undercut the established tradition of off-campus living until it renovated Central Campus and thus could offer a viable alternative to the students.

By strictly enforcing local zoning regulations, a significant portion of the current leases will be null and void. The University also has the option of enforcing Duke-specific laws and meting out Duke-related punishments that are likely to have ramifications beyond the courtroom. Thus, rising seniors and any other students currently planning to inhabit the recently purchased properties should break their leases and try blocking at Erwin, the Belmont or Partners Place.

The real shame is that inter-greek competition between assorted fraternities prevents IFC from presenting a united front against the administration. This outlandish maneuver should not stand but like the British Empire during the heyday of imperialism, the administration has managed to divide and conquer the on and off-campus greek groups and thus weaken our collective power.

I wish I had an answer, but I honestly do not know what to do at this point. The only thing I know for sure is that all rising juniors should go abroad next fall so they are at least guaranteed one semester of fun.

Adam Yoffie is a Trinity senior. His column runs every other Monday.

Share and discuss “It's been a rough week” on social media.