SPORTS  |  COLUMNS

Get ready to burn the benches for Coach G

In the aftermath of this weekend's developments, everyone probably expects a sports column to discuss the allegations surrounding the Duke men's lacrosse team.

But as President Brodhead said Tuesday night, "Sports have their time and place, but when an issue of this gravity is in question, it is not the time to be playing games."

This is, after all, the sports section of the newspaper, so it should focus on athletics, rather than speculate about the future of a criminal investigation.

What better to divert our attention than last night's game, which had all of the makings of a classic Duke battle. After knocking off a pesky Michigan State team, the Blue Devils took on UConn on national television with a trip to the Final Four on the line.

Except this time it was the Lady Blue Devils who were in position to get to the last weekend in college basketball. And unlike the men, they did not disappoint.

It's about time that people started paying attention to the women. All year long, the women's team tried to boost its attendance and its popularity around campus.

After games against powerhouses Tennessee and North Carolina were packed to the brim, Cameron Indoor Stadium looked like a graveyard against Maryland-a top-four team.

Even now, with the team two wins away from its first national title, there is little buzz on campus. You don't hear discussions of Monique Currie's tough fadeaway jumpers or Alison Bales' dominant blocks. It seems like someone should care.

And next week, if Duke manages to knock off LSU and then the winner of an ACC battle between the Tar Heels and the Terrapins, the ultimate test will be given to the Duke student body.

If and when the Blue Devils, led by head coach Gail Goestenkors, cut down the nets in Boston, will anyone gather on the quad to burn some benches?

My guess would be yes, and not just because people like to burn things.

Maybe it's just the hopeful optimist in me, but I think that a good portion of the student body will turn out to celebrate this University's eighth National Championship, even if it is in a sport that most students don't follow regularly.

If you haven't been paying attention to the women's team so far this season, I'd recommend you start. I know it doesn't really make up for the letdown of the men's Sweet 16 loss, but it helps to fill the void.

Plus, the basketball isn't all that terrible, either. The women won in an overtime thriller Tuesday night, knocking off Connecticut by two. And any Cameron Crazie who can't experience a little schadenfreude at UConn's expense has something wrong with themselves, anyway.

So when Coach G steps up on that ladder and cuts down her piece of nylon, be happy.

And burn some benches. It may be your last chance for a while.

Share and discuss “Get ready to burn the benches for Coach G” on social media.