Duke overpowers Spartans after halftime

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - After leading by only eight points at halftime, top-seeded Duke blew out last season's national runner-up Michigan State in the second half on the way to an 86-61 victory Sunday at the Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, Conn.

The top-seeded Blue Devils (29-3) used stifling defense and precise offensive execution to pull away from the Spartans (24-10) in a dominating second half.

With the win, Duke advances to meet second-seeded Connecticut Tuesday night after the Huskies defeated Georgia 77-75 in a thrilling nightcap.

For the Blue Devils, the shift in momentum began in the final seconds of the first half, when Waner hit her third three-pointer of the first 20 minutes to end a 7-0 Michigan State run and give Duke a 45-37 halftime advantage.

"When Lindsey [Harding] penetrated, it drew a lot of attention," Waner said. "She kicked it out and it was just an open shot. I think that anytime a team can score going into the locker room, it provides a lot of momentum."

The Blue Devils rode that momentum after the intermission, outscoring the Spartans 18-4 in the first seven minutes of the half to build a 63-41 lead. Duke exploited Michigan State's matchup zone with superb high-low post execution and quick ball movement.

"I think it was an excellent balanced attack," Spartan head coach Joanne McCallie said. "They looked to get it inside and out, and I think their high-low game was outstanding."

The Blue Devils outscored Michigan State 24-6 in the paint in the second half and had 18 fast break points to the Spartans' two during the game. Duke took full advantage of its depth, as eight players logged at least 17 minutes and six scored in double figures. Monique Currie led the team with 17 while Waner scored 14 in a reserve role.

"I think [the bench] brought a lot of energy and we look to them to do that," Currie said. "[Abby] was really confident in her shot and that's what we need from her in this Tournament."

Harding added 10 points to go along with seven assists and six rebounds. As a team, Duke dished out 22 assists and only gave up 12 turnovers.

Michigan State was smothered by the Duke defense in the second half and never mounted a serious challenge. The Spartans shot only 23 percent from the field after halftime, with as many turnovers-eight-as field goals.

"We knew we needed to lock down on defense in the second half and we did," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "I thought that was really the difference."

Duke held All-Big Ten selection and Michigan State's all-time leading scorer Liz Shimek to only five points, 12 below her season average. The senior attempted only five shots from the field.

"I think our post players did an excellent job denying [Shimek] the ball and trapping her when she did get the ball to make her force some uncomfortable shots," Currie said.

In the first half, Michigan State was able to answer all of Duke's runs, cutting a 12-point deficit to five before Waner's deflating three-pointer. The Spartans had previously fought back from seven points down to pull within two before the Blue Devils extended the lead again. Duke used hot three-point shooting to build the advantage, making six of its 11 shots from beyond the arc in the first half.

The Blue Devils have now outscored their three tournament opponents by an average of almost 43 per game.

"We made the decision we were going to work on the little things, we were going to get better, and that our best days were ahead of us," Goestenkors said of the team's attitude after the ACC Tournament. "Every game we just want to feel like we're getting a little better and gaining a little momentum."

Share and discuss “Duke overpowers Spartans after halftime” on social media.