Duke slides to 9th in 2nd day of ACCs

In its second day of competition, the women's swimming and diving team continued its streak of record-breaking performances at the ACC Championships in College Park, Md. The Blue Devils (5-6, 1-5 in the ACC), however, dropped from seventh to ninth place in the standings Thursday.

"We started off a little rough again, but it got better as the day went on," head coach Dan Colella said. "We had 15 season-bests this morning."

The Blue Devils' 200-yard freestyle relay team, comprised of seniors Nora Stupp and Julia Lewis and sophomores Anna Rogers and Danielle Spearman, set a school record with their time of 1:35.86. Their performance left them with a ninth-place finish in the event.

It was the second day in a row that a Duke relay record was broken after the 200-yard medley relay record was toppled Wednesday.

In the 200-yard individual medley senior Katie Ness, the 2004 ACC Champion in the event, posted a season-best time of 2:02.71, but it was only good enough for fourth place.

Eight Blue Devils set individual career-best times during the morning's preliminaries, but only three-Ness, Stupp, and junior Jackie Rodriguez-qualified for final heats.

Stupp finished 20th in the 200-yard IM and Rodriguez swam to 22nd place in the 500-yard freestyle.

The championships continue today with seven more events.

"We want to move up those team standings, which we have the opportunity to do," Colella said. "Tomorrow should be a good day for us."

Share and discuss “Duke slides to 9th in 2nd day of ACCs” on social media.