The independent news organization of Duke University

Duke slides to 9th in 2nd day of ACCs

In its second day of competition, the women's swimming and diving team continued its streak of record-breaking performances at the ACC Championships in College Park, Md. The Blue Devils (5-6, 1-5 in the ACC), however, dropped from seventh to ninth place in the standings Thursday.

"We started off a little rough again, but it got better as the day went on," head coach Dan Colella said. "We had 15 season-bests this morning."

The Blue Devils' 200-yard freestyle relay team, comprised of seniors Nora Stupp and Julia Lewis and sophomores Anna Rogers and Danielle Spearman, set a school record with their time of 1:35.86. Their performance left them with a ninth-place finish in the event.

It was the second day in a row that a Duke relay record was broken after the 200-yard medley relay record was toppled Wednesday.

In the 200-yard individual medley senior Katie Ness, the 2004 ACC Champion in the event, posted a season-best time of 2:02.71, but it was only good enough for fourth place.

Eight Blue Devils set individual career-best times during the morning's preliminaries, but only three-Ness, Stupp, and junior Jackie Rodriguez-qualified for final heats.

Stupp finished 20th in the 200-yard IM and Rodriguez swam to 22nd place in the 500-yard freestyle.

The championships continue today with seven more events.

"We want to move up those team standings, which we have the opportunity to do," Colella said. "Tomorrow should be a good day for us."

Share and discuss “Duke slides to 9th in 2nd day of ACCs” on social media.