Blue Devils face first test of season in Terps

It has already been has been quite a record-breaking year for Duke athletics, and the No. 2 women's lacrosse team is poised to break another as early as its next game. Attacker Katie Chrest will set the program's record for career goals with her next tally.

The senior will get a chance Saturday at noon when Duke (2-0) faces No. 9 Maryland (2-1) at Koskinen Stadium in the team's first match-up against a ranked opponent this season.

"Maryland is a great program," head coach Kerstin Kimel said. "We expect it to be a battle. Their offense is as good as anyones in the country so we've done a lot prepapring for them. We just expect a higher intensity game than anything we've seen this season."

Duke began this season with two big victories, outscoring Longwood, 19-3, Feb. 14 and Richmond, 18-8, Feb. 19. With her six goals against Richmond, Chrest-last year's National Player of the Year-tied Duke's career goal records with 161.

"Having played Richmond, who is a top-20 team, really showed us some things we need to improve," Kimel said.

Duke hopes to display those improvements against the Terapins.

"We will probably have similar strategies," said Kimel, a Maryland graduate. "Both of us feel that the offense is the strongest part of our game, so, like us, they are going to concentrate on getting posession and mantaining possession of the ball. This is something we're prepared to do both offensively and defensively. We want to make sure we have the ball more than they do."

In last season's meeting, Duke defeated Maryland on the road, 10-7. Chrest scored three goals and goalie Megan Huether stoped seven shots. Duke raced out to a 7-1 lead before the Terrapins came back with five straight goals, but the Blue Devils were able to put them away.

This season, the Blue Devils' seven returning starters and four preseason All-Americans are further distinguished with three players on the Tewaaraton National Player of the Year Watchlist-Chrest, Huether and midfielder Rachel Sanford.

Huether, the reigning National Goalie of the Year, is also on pace to break Duke's career saves record of 568. The Blue Devils, however, are not focused on breaking records.

"Both Katie and Meg are concentrated on the team," said Kimel. "Their focus is getting the team ready to play Maryland, to fulfill their role and play their best, and this is usually when they are most successful."

Despite the personal pressures that come with approaching a program record, Heuther said winning remains her top priority.

"I try not to really think about that kind of stuff because it can really play with your head," Heuther said. "Personally I just go out every single day and try to give it my best. You can't worry about expectations, you just have to do what you know how to do."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils face first test of season in Terps” on social media.