Hokies look to make leap in 2nd year

Despite a surprising 8-8 conference record and a No. 4 seed in the ACC Tournament in its first season in the league, Virginia Tech is not yet satisfied.

"We want to win 20 games and make the NCAA tournament," junior forward Coleman Collins said.

This statement would have been bolder last year, when the Hokies were picked to finish 10th in the 11-team conference, but is not so farfetched this season.

Virginia Tech returns four starters from its 2004-2005 squad as well as Markus Sailes, who started every game in 2003-2004, but sat out most of last season with an injury. The Hokies also return three others who have started in the past, making them among the most experienced teams in the ACC.

"We're in a very envious position," head coach Seth Greenberg said. "We have three returners in the backcourt, including Sailes."

Without Sailes, Virginia Tech formed one of the best backcourts in the ACC last season with Zabian Dowdell at point guard and Jamon Gordon at shooting guard.

"They're winning players," Greenberg said. "They are guys with a little chip. When you talk about the better guard duos in the league, or nationally, you never hear Zabian Dowdell and Jamon Gordon."

Dowdell, a junior, was an honorable mention All-ACC pick a year ago. Gordon, also a junior, was selected to the ACC All-Defensive team after finishing second in the league in steals with 67.

Although guard play is certainly the Hokies' strength entering this season, they must find a way to replace the 13.8 points per game Carlos Dixon scored from the small forward position. Projected starter Wynton Witherspoon went down in preseason practice with a broken foot and could be out for two months.

Witherspoon's injury, along with backup center Robert Krabbendam's recent knee surgery, could make it more difficult for the frontcourt as they go up against some of the top forwards in the nation.

"We need to improve our defensive transition, and we need to rebound the ball better," Greenberg said. "We were No. 1 in turnover margin [in the ACC], but last in rebounding."

Despite the need for improvement, the important thing for Greenberg is that basketball matters again in Blacksburg. Little success in the Big East led to small turnouts at Cassell Coliseum. Last season, however, the Hokies led the nation in attendance increase, and they plan on creating a similar atmosphere this season.

"I think this shows the tremendous support and passion the Hokie Nation has for their university," Greenberg said. "It's obviously a reflection on the ACC and the excitement it has brought to our campus."

With new enthusiasm for the program, Greenberg recognizes how important it is for his players to not get caught up in the hype.

"We need to keep the games as 28 separate entities and not get too far ahead of ourselves," he said. "That to me is the key to this league-you learn from the past, step forward and get ready for the next game. If you don't do that...it can become overwhelming.

"Getting to where we want to go at the end of the season is a by-product of doing what we want to do today."

Share and discuss “Hokies look to make leap in 2nd year” on social media.