Durham rivals to square off

One year ago, Duke defeated Division II North Carolina Central in an exhibition game at Cameron Indoor Stadium, 95-58.

But when the two teams square off once again tonight at 7 p.m. in Cameron, the wide margin of victory could expand even further based on personnel changes and the growth of the remaining players on both teams since their last meeting.

The Blue Devils, ranked preseason No. 11 last year, were a nearly unanimous top pick this preseason, garnering 28 of 31 first-place votes. J.J. Redick, then an established junior with lingering questions, is now the reigning ACC Player of the Year. Senior center Shelden Williams, then a budding star, is the reigning National Defensive Player of the Year.

N.C. Central-a mere three miles from Duke but never in the same basketball hemisphere-lost a host of key contributors since last season. Only one of five starters, senior center Jason Hervey, returns for the Eagles. Hervey averaged a respectable 9.8 points per game. Junior point guard Chris Tyrance, who averaged a paltry 2.8 points per contest last season, will likely be the second highest contributor for the Eagles this season.

"As a Division II school, we're just excited about playing in Cameron," NCCU head coach Henry Dickerson said. "You just go in and play hard, you just want to be competitive. In no way, shape or form do we have the types of players that Duke has, but I still think it's a good experience."

Although the matchup appears to be lopsided, Dickerson did not rule out the remote possibility of a victory.

"Anything's possible, but you have to be realistic too," Dickerson said. "You have to realize who you are playing. Now, if Duke does not come out and play, and we do play, then it's going to be a game. But you're not the No. 1 team in the country for nothing."

Not like the Blue Devils need added motivation, but with a load of freshmen capable of contributing right away, the game could be important for the neophytes to gain experience playing in the tight, loud, pressure-packed confines of Cameron. An exhibition game gives Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski a perfect opportunity to show the rookies-both players and fans-what Duke basketball is really about.

"Playing here gives you a rush," said Krzyzewski after Duke's first exhibition game, a 123-66 win against Concordia. "That's why I think the students being so vocal was good for us.... The freshmen need that atmosphere more than the upperclassmen."

Tonight's contest is Duke's final exhibition game. The Preseason NIT begins Monday for the Blue Devils, who will face Boston University in the opening round Monday at 7:30 p.m. in Cameron.

Share and discuss “Durham rivals to square off” on social media.