SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Championship run strengthens tourney resume

CARY - Before Mike Grella's title-clinching penalty kick hit the back of the net, ACC Championship MVP Blake Camp rushed toward the Duke net in celebration of a Justin Papadakis save. Although the Blue Devils had yet to gain the title, Camp's enthusiasm was well founded.

"I was a little eager," Camp said. "But I guess that's a good thing."

No. 22 Duke's up-and-down ACC season came to a close on a high note in the conference tournament. The Blue Devils (12-4-3) advanced past the first round for the first time in four years by defeating fourth-seeded Virginia Tech. With a decisive 4-2 win over top-ranked and top-seeded Maryland, Duke made a strong argument about its seeding for the NCAA tournament. And by defeating No. 4 UNC in penalty kicks, 5-4, the Blue Devils put an exclamation point on their most successful ACC Championship since the team first won the title in 1999.

"It's an ideal set-up for anyone," Grella said. "UNC-Duke in the ACC final...it's just huge."

The title game between fifth-seeded Duke and sixth-seeded North carolina was not only another spectacular match in the rivalry but speaks to the strength and parity of the league. With eight of nine ACC teams looking to get NCAA bids, winning the Championship could be very influential in the Blue Devils' NCAA seeding.

Duke was ranked fourth in the South Regional after dropping to its lowest ranking of the season following a loss to Clemson in the regular-season finale. The three teams ahead of the Blue Devils were UNC, N.C. State, and the Tigers. By advancing further than the Wolfpack or the Tigers and besting the Tar Heels in penalty kicks, Duke made a claim for a higher seed when the tournament field is announced today.

The Blue Devils are hoping to earn a draw that would include a bye and as many as three home matches. Such advantages would allow the Blue Devils to maintain the momentum created in the brutal conference tournament.

"This tournament is only three games," head coach John Rennie said. "The NCAA tournament is six if you don't get a bye."

With four Blue Devils earning spots on the All-Tournament team, multiple Duke players seem poised to break out in the NCAA Tournament. Sophomore Papadakis, for one, stepped up in the time of extreme need, making key saves during regulation, overtime and the shootout.

"I think having a year under his belt to be an understudy last fall was very helpful," Rennie said. "He got the confidence of his teammates and has been able to perform at a very high level as a sophomore."

The play of Papadakis and the Duke defense was even more significant given the Blue Devil's opponents in the conference tournament. Maryland was averaging nearly three goals per game before its matchup against Duke, and the Tar Heels own stingy defense made a solid defensive performance from Duke even more imperative.

A strong team showing against such opposition led Duke not only to a conference title, but also to a new level of confidence.

"I have to give a big thank you to Justin [Papadakis] and Mike [Grella]," Camp said. "If they didn't come out big today, none of this would have happened. Overall, our team played tremendously and its a great feeling."

Share and discuss “Championship run strengthens tourney resume” on social media.