Wolfpack no match for deep Duke

After an opening game that featured six ties and three lead changes, the volleyball team appeared to be pulling away from a pesky N.C. State squad. The Blue Devils led 26-22 after a kill by middle blocker Jourdan Norman, and the Wolfpack called timeout to regroup.

Coming out of the break, N.C. State ran off two consecutive points to pull within striking distance at 26-24.

But Duke would not be so easily rattled. A kill by outside hitter Tealle Hunkus, an error by the Wolfpack, a kill by setter Ali Hausfeld and a final kill by Norman on game point gave the Blue Devils the first game, 30-26.

From that point, Duke (9-3, 3-1 in the ACC) would not look back, winning the next two games, 30-17 and 30-26, to sweep the Wolfpack, 3-0.

Friday's win was the Blue Devils' third-consecutive ACC victory and the program's ninth-straight win over N.C. State (6-5, 0-3).

"We were able to get up again for this match after such an emotional and lengthy match [against North Carolina Sept. 29]," Duke head coach Jolene Nagel said.

"I was really pleased that we were able to put it together, play well and play the way we are capable of playing."

In the second game, the Blue Devils jumped out to a quick lead, 8-3. The Wolfpack pulled to within two points, 10-8, but Duke scored 20 of the next 31 points to take the game going away.

Duke started the third game with all three of the freshmen on the roster in the lineup.

The game was close throughout, and neither team took a lead larger than four points. N.C. State tied the game at 24 with a kill by Casey Wyatt.

The Blue Devils took the next four points to seize control of the game and won 30-26.

Hausfeld posted 47 assists to pace Duke and surpass the 2,000-assist mark for her career. Libero Jenny Shull picked up 27 digs to lead the team. Hunkus had a team-high 17 kills. Norman's eight blocks were also the most on the team.

For the match, 10 different players started a game, and only Hausfeld, Hunkus, Norman and Shull started all three games. Fourteen of the 15 players on the Blue Devil roster saw playing time in the match.

"I felt a lot of people took advantage of the opportunity when they got a chance to play tonight," Nagel said. "I didn't feel like we skipped a beat at all, and I was really pleased with everyone's performance."

Share and discuss “Wolfpack no match for deep Duke” on social media.