SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Blue Devils ready for ITA Regionals

Seven Blue Devils received automatic bids to the ITA Mideast Regionals, and senior Stefan Rozycki won two matches Wednesday to qualify for the main draw of the event, which will be held Oct. 20-24.

Senior Ludovic Walter earned the top seed, and three other Blue Devils were seeded in the top 16, including fifth-seeded Joey Atas.

Duke's other qualifiers are Peter Rodrigues, Christopher Brown, Ned Samuelson, Jonathan Stokke and Alex Stone.

Additionally, the Blue Devils boast the second-seeded doubles team of Atas and Stokke and the fourth-seeded duo of Rodrigues and Walter.

"Historically we have done well at this tournament," head coach Jay Lapidus said. "The first couple of matches are at home, which gives a little of an edge."

Rozycki participated in the qualifying portion of the tournament Wednesday, earning a straight-set victory over Winthrop's Thaigo Barbosa, 6-3, 6-4.

"I started off slow in my first match," Rozycki said. "My backhand, which is the strength of my game, wasn't working so I had to rely on my forehand to win."

Rozycki then notched another win in straight sets against Juan Carlo Vazquez of American, 6-2, 6-1.

"A lot of my friends came out to watch, and it really pumped me up," Rozycki said.

Duke's opening matches will be played at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center, with subsequent matches to be played at Duke or UNC's Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

The tournament's singles finalists and the doubles champion will advance to the ITA National Collegiate Indoor Championships Nov. 3-6.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils ready for ITA Regionals” on social media.