Passing game essential to Wake Forest success in close contests

Despite the fact that Wake Forest lost six of its final seven games in 2004, five of those losses were by a touchdown or less.

That’s the bright spot.

Wake Forest started out last year’s football season strong, compiling a 3-1 record. But following its 17-14 win over Boston College, the team began its downward spiral—with its sole win against lowly Duke. The Demon Deacons ended the year 4-7 with a 1-7 mark in the ACC.

Entering his fifth year at Wake Forest, head coach Jim Grobe will look to improve on his 22-25 overall record. The team’s biggest weakness last season was its defense, which allowed 393 yards per game, third-worst in the ACC.

Wake Forest’s best defensive player last year, defensive back Eric King, was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the fifth round of the NFL draft. With 11 broken-up passes, he will be sorely missed.

Wake Forest will look to sophomore linebacker Jon Abbate, whose 100 tackles led the team last season, to help anchor the front seven. He was named honorable mention All-ACC as a freshman—the first Demon Deacon freshman to earn such an honor since 1976.

On offense, the Demon Deacons lost offensive lineman Blake Lingruen, who was a three-year starter in an offense that relies heavily on the running game—in each of the last four seasons the team has averaged over 200 yards per game on the ground.

Running back Chris Barclay returns to anchor the offense for his senior season. He has led the team in rushing yards each of the last two seasons. Barclay was named to the first team All-ACC and led the league in rushing attempts in 2004.

“I think our huge downfall last year was our pass blocking,” junior offensive tackle Steve Vallos said. “That’s why we could not throw the ball as much…. Pass blocking is something we’ve been focusing on in this camp. I think it will pay off, and quarterbacks are going to be able sit back and throw the football a lot easier.”

Wake Forest will attempt to build on its running game in order to have a more productive passing game. Starting quarterback Benjamin Mauk started the final three games of 2004 and received valuable experience. For his solid play last year he was named to The Sporting News’ ACC All-Freshman Team.

The Demon Deacons return 15 starters from last season, the most in the ACC, but only four are seniors.

Wake Forest lost their opening game to Vanderbilt 24-20 Sept. 1.

Share and discuss “Passing game essential to Wake Forest success in close contests” on social media.