O-line key to offensive success

ACC wars are won in the trenches.

Although there has been a lot of excitement generated by offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien’s new scheme and the experienced skill players running it, if the offensive line does not create running lanes for the tailbacks and provide time for Mike Schneider to go through his passing options, the offense may suffer the same woes as last season.

Last year, the offensive line gave up 39 sacks for a total loss of 282 yards, both figures worst in the ACC. In addition, penalties by the line stalled many drives by the worst-ranked offense in the nation. With Duke’s ACC opponents returning a combined 22 defensive line starters, the offensive line will have little room for error against experienced opposition.

“We just need to cut down on the mental mistakes,” fifth-year senior Jim Moravchik said. “Physically we can play against anyone in the league, it’s just sometimes there are mental mistakes and busts. If we can cut down on those, I think we’ll be alright.”

The offensive line will be inexperienced because it must replace three regular starters who graduated last year. To make matters worse, earlier this month head coach Ted Roof announced that left guard Bob Benion, one of the three linemen on Duke’s roster with any starting experience, would undergo shoulder surgery and miss the entire 2005 campaign.

With Benion out, Moravchik will slide over to left guard and will be joined by sophomore Matt Rumsey at center, senior Demetrius Warrick at right tackle, and juniors Lavdrim Bauta and Tyler Krieg at left tackle and right guard, respectively.

The offensive line has received relief from some unexpected sources. Moravchik decided after spring practice that he would utilize his last year of eligibility, despite his earlier intentions not to return after graduation. Moravchik will not only fill the hole brought on by Benion’s absence but will also help the more inexperienced linemen adjust to their new roles.

“He has such a great mind that he knows what he is doing, and he helps those younger guys that haven’t played in those game situations,” Schneider said. “He’s going to help them in the huddle with their calls, and that will be really beneficial to everyone.”

Additional help will come from Warrick, who switched over from defensive tackle to offensive tackle to help bolster the unit. Roof said that while Warrick will take some time to adjust to the change, he was pleased with the senior’s selflessness.

“A lot of guys would have trouble—their egos would get in the way—but he knew that was what we needed as a team,” Roof said. “I’ve been real pleased at how he has handled it from a leadership standpoint.”

The line may also benefit from Schneider’s grasp of O’Brien’s new system. Learning his third offensive system in as many years, the junior said he took it upon himself to learn every position’s responsibilities in order to manage the offense more effectively.

“If there are sacks, it is not always their fault, it’s my fault too,” Schneider said. “I need to prepare myself well enough to know what is coming so I can put them in a better situation to block the right people.”

Roof said he saw marked improvement from the linemen throughout training camp but conceded that the offense may have to mix in quick passing plays to relieve pressure off the line.

“We have definitely made strides, but we are definitely not satisfied,” Roof said. “We’ve got to do some things to help with the pass, but at the same time I have confidence that they are going to continue to get better and continue to fight.”

Share and discuss “O-line key to offensive success” on social media.