News briefs

Survey says CFOs gloomy about economy

According to a survey conducted by Duke and CFO Magazine, chief financial officers are pessimistic about the state of the U.S. economy due to the rising prices of fuel and health-care costs.

According to the survey, nearly 37 percent of company CFOs think more poorly about the economy now than last quarter; 28.6 percent are more optimistic.

The survey polled 1,584 CFOs from both public and private, domestic and international companies.

It was taken before Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast and caused oil prices to skyrocket.

Campaign for ties with Israel starts today

Israel on Campus Coalition’s “Israel starts with i”—a national campus campaign to strengthen relationships between American universities and Israel—kicks off today at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Duke.

The initiative launches at 7 p.m. tonight with the showing of Mechina, a film by Maital Guttman, Trinity ‘05, at UNC’s Student Union Caberet Room.

Guttman’s film will go on a national tour with the campaign.

Conference to commemorate collection

A symposium celebrating the 10th anniversary of the John Hope Franklin Collection for African and African American Documentation is scheduled to be held Nov. 18 in the Gothic Reading Room of Perkins Library.

The event will feature panel discussions on different aspects of African and African American documentation.

Invited speakers include Houston Baker, professor of English and African and African American studies, and John Hope Franklin, James B. Duke Professor Emeritus of history.

Tulane will open its doors in spring

The president of Tulane University announced Tuesday afternoon that the institution will reopen for the spring semester so that it can remain on the nation’s list of top research institutions. Due to the current state of affairs in New Orleans, he said the spring semester may be pushed back.

Share and discuss “News briefs” on social media.