Moravchik pays tribute to lost teammate

When Jim Moravchik starts Saturday against East Carolina, he will not only be sporting a new position—the fifth-year senior moved from left tackle to left guard—but also a new number, 55. The number change, however, takes on a much greater significance because Moravchik now dons the former number of Micah Harris, the defensive end who was tragically killed in a car accident June 11, 2004.

Earlier this summer, Duke head coach Ted Roof approached Moravchik, who had been good friends with Harris, with the idea that Jim be the first player to wear 55 since Harris’ tragic death.

“I wanted somebody to wear that number, and I thought it would be a special thing to Jim because they were so close,” Roof said. “I thought it would be a nice tribute and a nice touch, and he was certainly all for it.”

Following Harris’ death, his teammates requested that the number 55 not be worn until after May 2005—when the defensive leader would have graduated. With Moravchik’s decision to stay after his graduation and take advantage of his final year of eligibility, Roof was able to honor the request and also allow a member of Harris’ class to commemorate his friend.

“When he asked me to wear it, I was shocked, and I also had a great sense of pride,” Moravchik said. “It means a lot.”

Throughout his three-year Duke career, Harris was known as an intense competitor and a tremendous teammate. Moravchik hopes to resemble his fallen friend not only in number but also in his level of play.

“Micah played the game right. He was physical all the time and never gave up,” Moravchik said. “I think it would be a great honor to him if I played with that same spirit.”

Share and discuss “Moravchik pays tribute to lost teammate” on social media.