The independent news organization of Duke University

Sportsbriefs

Blaum ousted in 2nd Round at Amateurs

Senior Ryan Blaum lost his second round match Thursday at the 105th U.S. Amateur. New Mexico’s Jay Choi defeated Blaum 4 and 3 at the Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa.

Blaum trailed Choi by two holes at the turn, and recorded a birdie on the 10th bringing the deficit to just one hole. Choi won three of the next four holes, however, to advance to Thursdays’ afternoon action. Choi eventually fell in the round of 16.

Blaum, a Coral Gables, Fla., native, had won his first round match 1-up against Tanner Ervin and had fired a 144 in stroke play to qualify for the match play portion of the tournament.

Freshmen fare well at Women’s Amateurs

Freshman Jennie Lee lost 6 and 5 to Morgan Pressel in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Women’s Amateur Aug. 5. Pressel birdied eight of the first 13 holes on the way to her victory.

Pressel, a rising high school senior who had originally committed to play for Duke before deciding to turn professional, won the event.

Amanda Blumenherst, the Blue Devils’ other freshman, lost her second round match to Alison Whitaker in 19 holes.

Neither Senior Liz Janangelo or Junior Anna Grzebien qualified for the match play portion of the 2005 U.S. Amateur after finishing tied for 91st and 108th, respectively, at the completion of stroke play.

Lantzy named Top Assistant

Head coach Mike Pressler promoted Jon Lantzy to the position of top assistant for the men’s lacrosse team after he served the past four years as second assistant. He fills the position vacated when Joe Alberici accepted the head coaching position at Army.

Videira garners preseason honor

Sophomore Michael Videira was named to Soccer America’s Preseason All-America team, which was announced Aug. 23. Videira earned the Soccer America and ACC Freshman of the Year awards last season.

The midfielder finished last season with four goals and 15 assists for a Blue Devil squad that advanced to the College Cup before losing to Santa Clara in the national semifinals.

Share and discuss “Sportsbriefs” on social media.