News briefs

Library discards old catalog in renovations

The Duke Library card catalog was removed this week as part of library renovation work.

Though it once held documentation of the more than 5 million items contained in the library, new information had not been added to the catalog in over a decade, library officials said.

Computer searches took the place of the cards in recent years.

It took several days to move the cards from the library to recycling. The catalogues that held the cards were moved to the Duke Surplus Store, which sells items no longer used by the University and Medical Center at discounted prices.

Once renovations are complete, the Bostock Library and von der Heyden Pavilion will open in October as new additions to Perkins Library. Simultaneously, the main entrance to Perkins will be closed for work on the first floor. Library public services will be moved to Bostock.

University announces Hart Fellows

Duke has selected the 2005-2006 fellows for the Hart Leadership Program. The fellows will be placed with an organization in the developing world where they will conduct research and fieldwork on policy issues. All six of the fellows graduated in May.

Jennifer Hasvold of Rapid City, S.D., will work in Cambodia with the program Homeland, which improves living standards for at-risk children and families. Lauren Jarvis of Chapel Hill, N.C., will work in South Africa with Women on Farms, an organization that empowers female farm workers to improve their jobs and advocates for equality in the workplace.

Hayden Kantor of Pleasantville, N.Y., will work in India with GRAVIS, a non-governmental organization that helps foster rural development. Michaela Kerrissey of Sherborn, Mass., will work in Uganda with the National Community of Women Living with AIDS.

Katherine Wilson-Milne of Needham, Mass., will work in South Africa with the Legal Resources Centre’s Women’s Rights Project. Mark Younger of Menlo Park, Calif., will work in Guatemala with the AGROS Foundation, which helps rural families escape poverty through a variety of development initiatives.

Study finds labels hurt economic competition

A new study conducted by Duke researchers found that standardized nutrition labels on commercial food products may give large food manufacturers an economic advantage over their smaller rivals.

Christine Moorman, professor of marketing, and Carl Mela, associate professor in the Fuqua School of Business, found that leading food companies benefited more than their competitors from the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990.

The advantage, Moorman and Mela concluded, stemmed from the large manufacturers’ superior financial resources and customers’ recognition of their brands, which allowed the companies to respond more quickly to new information-disclosure requirements. Large manufacturers showed a lower tendency to exit food categories and a higher tendency to increase their product distribution, at the expense of smaller companies.

Based on their data, Moorman and Mela suggested that larger firms not be allowed to help craft label regulations.

Share and discuss “News briefs” on social media.