News briefs

Nicholas School dean reappointed

William Schlesinger, dean of the Nicholas School of the Environnment and Earth Sciences, was reappointed to a second five-year term, Provost Peter Lange announced Tuesday.

Schlesinger has served as dean since 2001.

During his first term, Schlesinger oversaw the signing of a $70-million gift from Peter and Ginny Nicholas in December 2003 that allowed him to move forward with plans to build a new facility for the school and help form the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions.

Annual fund giving increased by 17 percent in 2003 and 10 percent in 2004 during Schlesinger’s tenure. Enrollment in the professional program also grew, reaching an all-time high of 121 in 2005—an increase of 30 percent from four years ago.

In a press release, Lange praised Schlesinger for being “a strong leader with clear goals and an ambitious vision for the Nicholas School.”

Employee parking permits available

Faculty and staff can now renew their parking permits for the 2005-2006 academic year.

Parking and Transportation Services said most employees’ permit fees increased less than $1 per month; rates for permits in remote lots increased by 15 to 20 cents per month.

Renewal forms are available at the PTS office and on the website.

PTS is encouraging employees to renew their permits before July 27 so they will receive them before Aug. 16, when the new permits are officially required for parking.

In an attempt to encourage environment-friendly practices, PTS is offering discounts to three or more people who carpool and will allow two people who ride together to share the full annual cost of a permit.

Employees using payroll deduction are eligible for a two-year permit—except in the H, Green Zone and residential lots—which does not have to be renewed next year. Employees with the permits will automatically be charged the new rate at the start of the second year.

Permits can be mailed to a work address, home address or any other address in the United States.

University announces new FLEX service

Starting in the fall, students will be able to manage FLEX funds directly through the Bursar’s Office.

Under the current system, students must make separate payments to the DukeCard Office through the mail, an office visit or a value transfer station to add money to their FLEX accounts.

The new “FLEX to Bursar” service will allow students to charge FLEX payments made to the DukeCard Office to their student account in the Bursar’s Office.

FLEX additions will then be billed by the Bursar’s Office along with regular student account transactions.

Before the fall and spring semesters, students may add a maximum of $750 to their FLEX accounts, which they can then choose to charge to their Bursar’s accounts.

During the semesters, they can add additional FLEX funds to their accounts so long as they are in good standing with the Bursar’s Office; an account is in good standing if a student has no registration block for a past due balance.

Doctor wins prestigious research award

Dr. Priya Kishnani of the Duke University Medical Center was recently named one of the recipients of the 2005 Charles J. Epstein Down Syndrome Research Award. The award will provide support for her research, titled “Safety and Efficacy of rivastigmine in children (ages 10-18) with Down Syndrome.”

The Epstein award provides grants of $3,000-$35,000 dollars to scientists and clinicians who focus their research on Downs Syndrome. Recipients are chosen based on the quality and merit of their research proposals.

Duke to introduce recycled cartridges

Starting July 1, Duke will use remanufactured inkjet and laser toner cartridges from Corporate Express, the only source of the University’s office products, for the original manufactured brand on all Duke orders.

The original brand will be provided if a remanufactured cartridge does not exist for certain printer models.

University officials said the new policy is meant to help Duke save money and help the environment.

Share and discuss “News briefs” on social media.