Jumpers place high at prestigious meet

Competing against more than 100 teams at the nation’s oldest annual track and field meet, both the men’s and women’s track teams enjoyed success at the ECAC/IC4A Championships in Princeton, N.J. The men ended the three-day long meet in 13th while the women finished eighth.

“It was a great weekend for both the men’s and the women’s teams,” head coach Norm Ogilvie said.

Headlining the men’s team was long jumper Jade Ellis, who earned All-East honors by breaking his own school record with a jump of 24’ 11”. The mark earned the freshman standout a silver medal and was the sixth-best mark in the NCAA Eastern Region during the outdoor season.

“It was a great jump from Jade,” Ogilvie said. “It was the best performance, period.”

Ellis also finished seventh in the triple jump with a distance of 49’ 4.25”. With these two finishes, Ellis contributed half of Duke’s 20 overall points.

“It’s just me getting better,” Ellis said. “As I continue to get better and get more personal records, the [school] records are going to go with me.”

Senior Nick Schneider, who ran with the lead pack in the men’s 5,000-meter run, finished in third place with a time of 14:06.88. The event secured Schneider’s ninth overall All-East honor, a new Duke record. Pole-vaulter John Fay also set a personal record after clearing 4.95 meters, good for fifth place and All-East honors.

In the sprint events, the 4x100 relay team of Brett Morrell, Jabari Marshall, Ronnie Drummer and anchor Dan King tallied the second-fastest time in school history at 41.81 seconds. Drummer also ran a season-best 10.68 in the 100-meter dash, the fastest time of any freshman in the meet.

For the women’s team, a pair of hometown athletes came through in a key 10-minute stretch. In the high jump, sophomore Debra Vento placed second after clearing a height of 1.84 meters.

Moments later, fellow New Jersey native Liz Wort pulled away in the final 150 meters of the women’s 1,500-meter run to win the event by two seconds with a time of 4:25.56.

Share and discuss “Jumpers place high at prestigious meet” on social media.