Wagner to lead Pac-10 program

A pair of Pac-10 programs looked to Duke in an attempt to jumpstart their women’s basketball programs.

Oregon State signed Duke assistant LaVonda Wagner to a five-year contract Friday, and California inked a deal with former Blue Devils’ assistant and Richmond head coach Joanne Boyle the same day.

When Boyle left Duke after the 2001-2002 season to lead the Richmond program, Duke head coach Gail Goestenkors recruited Wagner from an associate head coaching position at Illinois. In her past three seasons at Duke, Wagner has worked primarily with the team’s post players and has had an extensive role in recruiting top talent to Duke.

“We are extremely excited to get a person of LaVonda’s credentials,” Oregon State Director of Athletics Bob De Carolis said. “One of the things that impressed me was the fact that she made the move from Illinois as associate head coach, to going back to being an assistant at Duke to get a different perspective. She’s had a meticulous game plan to get back to being a head coach.”

At Richmond, Boyle proved that former Goestenkors assistants could make successful head coaches. She has led the Spiders to three consecutive 20-win campaigns, and this past year she took her team to its first NCAA Tournament in 14 seasons. Cal finished just 11-18 this season, prompting the school to dismiss head coach Caren Horstmeyer.

“I’m excited about the possibility to build a nationally-regarded program at Cal,” Boyle said. “I couldn’t ask for a better package—a top-10 recruiting class, a beautiful campus and an athletic director who is committed to the women’s basketball team becoming a national contender. The situation reminds me a lot of the potential at Duke when Gail Goestenkors took over 12 years ago. It’s a gold mine waiting to happen. I couldn’t ask for a better fit.”

Before moving to Richmond, Boyle spent nine years coaching under Goestenkors, accompanying the Blue Devils to their first two Final Fours.

Share and discuss “Wagner to lead Pac-10 program” on social media.