SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Duke cruises by 'Pack in ACCs

The seventh-seeded Blue Devils made quick work of 10th-seeded N.C. State Thursday, defeating the Wolfpack 4-0 in the first round of the ACC Championships at the Cary Tennis Center.

Duke only lost eight games in three singles matches as it moved one step closer to its 18th consecutive ACC Finals appearance.

With the win, Duke (15-9, 6-5 in the ACC) improved to 45-0 against N.C. State (9-14, 1-10). More importantly, however, the team gained much-needed confidence and experience.

“This match was very important for us,” head coach Jamie Ashworth said. “We have players in our lineup who haven’t been in this situation and needed to get comfortable.”

The Blue Devils looked as though they might be in trouble early when they trailed the Wolfpack in all three doubles contests. Down 2-1 after three games, Tory Zawacki and Clelia Deltour took two of the next three games to level the match at three and shift the momentum in Duke’s favor. The duo then rattled off five consecutive games for the 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles.

While Deltour and Zawacki were turning the tables on their opponents, Kristin Cargill and Jackie Carleton mounted a comeback of their own at the No. 1 slot. After falling behind 6-3, the pair took the next four games to go on top 7-6. The Wolfpack recovered briefly to win the next game and tie the match at 7-7. Cargill and Carleton responded, however, by winning the next two games, clinching the doubles point and giving the Blue Devils the early 1-0 overall lead.

With the first point secured, Duke cruised through the top of N.C. State’s singles lineup. Senior Saras Arasu quickly put the Blue Devils ahead 2-0 as she won easily 6-1, 6-0 and claimed her 100th career victory.

“Over my four years at Duke I have tried hard and given my best,” Arasu said. “It’s good to have that accomplishment, and I am happy about that.”

Playing in place of the injured Katie Blaszak at No.1 singles, Carleton followed Arasu’s victory with a similar performance, defeating N.C. State’s Barbara Orlay 6-1, 6-2. The win was Carleton’s first of the season at the top singles position and marks the first time a Duke player has defeated Orlay in her two seasons at N.C. State.

Cargill completed the Blue Devil sweep with another straight set victory, winning 6-4, 6-0.

The victory propels Duke into a faceoff against second-seeded Miami in the second round today. The two teams split a pair of 4-3 matches earlier this season.

The Blue Devils beat the Hurricanes at National Team Indoors Feb. 4, but Miami won the more recent contest in Durham April 2.

Duke enters Friday’s 3 p.m. matchup still missing its No.1 and No. 3 singles players, Blaszak and Jennifer Zika, because of injuries.

“We have been in a tough situation this year with injuries,” Ashworth said. “Prior to this season, we had said our strength would be our depth, and I guess they are challenging that.”

Share and discuss “Duke cruises by 'Pack in ACCs” on social media.