Ewing's return close to home

Daniel Ewing closed the final chapter of a glorious high school career with a win at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

This weekend, the senior hopes his college career won’t end in the same building.

Ewing led the star-studded Willowridge High School basketball team to back-to-back Texas State 5A Championships in 2000 and 2001.

Four years after his second championship, Ewing and top-seeded Duke will meet fifth-seeded Michigan State Friday night in the regional semifinal at 7:10 p.m. With two wins this weekend, the Blue Devils could advance to their second straight Final Four.

“I had two championship games there that we won, so I’ve got some good memories in the Frank Erwin Center,” the Missouri City, Texas, native said. “But this is a different part of my life, a different atmosphere. It’s going to be tougher than a high school championship game.”

In front of a crowd of more than 16,000 people March 11, 2001, Willowridge beat Bryan High School 65-58 in the finals. Ewing scored just 11 points, but he dropped 28 in the semifinals against Converse Judson at the Erwin Center the night before.

During his senior year in high school Ewing led his team with 19.6 points per game and averaged 8.5 rebounds, four assists and three steals. That year he was also named Texas’ Mr. Basketball and led Willowridge to a perfect 39-0 record.

“My senior year, that was a special run for us,” Ewing said. “We were No. 2 in the nation, obviously No. 1 in the state of Texas. Each game going into the playoffs was tough. We blew nobody out on our run to the state title.”

Ewing’s senior class graduated on a 61-game win streak and compiled a 75-1 record over its final two years. The Eagles also suited up Division I players T.J. Ford and Kenny Taylor, both of whom went on to play at Texas, and Oklahoma State senior Ivan McFarlin graduated from Willowridge after the first state title.

Although the Blue Devils played in the Final Four a year ago in San Antonio, the chance to make the trip back to his home state again is very exciting for Ewing, he said. Some family and friends, many of whom have not seen him play live since his high school days, will be in attendance this weekend.

“Austin is not really home, but it’s close,” Ewing said. “I understand what is at stake here. It’s not like we’re going to party. We’re going to take care of business—try to win a game and try to help my team get back to the Final Four.”

Junior Shavlik Randolph said Ewing has been nagging other members of the team throughout the week about getting extra tickets. Each player is given six to distribute to whomever they choose.

Ewing is hoping to claim 30, but he has only secured 15 thus far.

What would it take for Randolph to give up his tickets?

“He might have to let me beat him a couple times in NBA Live.”

Ewing was quick to reply.

“I’d take that deal any day.”

Share and discuss “Ewing's return close to home” on social media.