Dockery returns to court

CHARLOTTE -- Just two weeks ago head coach Mike Krzyzewski said his team was preparing to play the rest of the season without point guard Sean Dockery.

Then last week before the ACC Tournament he said that Dockery's torn medial collateral ligament was healing quicker than expected. Krzyzewski said Dockery would likely be back for the NCAA Tournament, but not necessarily for the opening rounds.

So when Dockery started Friday's first round contest against 16th-seeded Delaware State, it was a welcomed sign for the Blue Devils, who were playing with their entire roster for the first time since Dec. 18 against Oklahoma.

"The knee feels great," said Dockery, who played 24 minutes. "While I was out, I had great respect for basketball and life. I learned a lot--I learned how to be a coach."

Dockery, who said he felt 80 percent ready physically, did not take long to make his presence felt. He nailed his first two three point attempts, helping to give Duke an 8-1 lead.

"I kind of had it in my mind that I was going to shoot the ball when I first got a look," said Dockery, who finished with eight points and three assists in his first game since Feb. 23.

The junior's return allowed Daniel Ewing to switch back to the off-guard position, where he shared ball-handling duties with Dockery. It also gave the Blue Devils another on-the-ball defender.

With Dockery's defensive energy available to the lineup, Duke has the ability to completely shut down opponents. The Blue Devils can overplay on the perimeter, knowing that ACC Defensive Player of the Year Shelden Williams is guarding the basket in the low post.

The combination worked Friday, as Duke held Delaware State to a measly 21.4 percent shooting in the second half.

Although Dockery was reserved when he spoke about his team's lackadaisical performance, he was all smiles regarding his return.

"It felt great," Dockery said. "I mean it felt real good being out there with my team, controlling tempo, being a leader out there, and sweating."

Share and discuss “Dockery returns to court” on social media.