Duke's post proves decisive

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — While Monique Currie was playing through pain, Chante Black was bringing the pain to Maryland.

Freshman center Black dominated the glass in the second half as she grabbed nine rebounds, including five offensive boards. Her presence allowed Duke to get second and third looks at the basket that eventually wore down the Maryland defense.

“If we could keep them off the glass and if we could become more aggressive on the glass, I thought that would be the difference in the game,” Duke head coach Gail Goestenkors said. “We made a commitment to rebounding in the second half.”

Black also contributed to the Blue Devils’ defensive effort with a career-high four blocks. Sophomore Alison Bales rejected five balls as Duke’s daunting post defense forced the Terrapins to routinely settle for contested perimeter shots. As a result, Maryland shot 34 percent for the game, the team’s second-lowest percentage of the year.

“I think a lot of times we were just rushed,” Maryland head coach Brenda Frese said. “We needed to be more fluid with what we were doing in terms of working the ball and a lot more movement on the offensive end.”

The Blue Devils’ static offense also seemed to lack purpose as Duke went through several scoreless stretches. The team did not score for the first five minutes of the second half and had a similar drought midway through the first period. Duke shot 35.1 percent for the game, well below its season average of 45 percent.

The Blue Devils’ offensive deficiency was partly because Currie, slowed by a stress fracture in her left foot, had scored only five points with two minutes remaining in the game. Despite her struggles, Goestenkors said that Currie’s presence still made a difference.

“She demands attention—the best defensive player is going to be on Monique, and if she gets the ball people are looking to double-team her,” Goestenkors said. “She can change the game just with her presence on the floor.”

Senior forward Wynter Whitley also added 11 points off the bench, something Maryland coaches did not expect. Frese said she was willing to let Whitley shoot while double-teaming other Duke options.

Over the last six games, Duke has averaged 61.7 points per game after coming into this stretch averaging more than 80 points per contest. Granted, the Blue Devils have played better defensive teams as of late, but problems remain. Mistie Williams, a dominant post presence earlier this season, has averaged just five points and five rebounds rebounds per game over the last three contests. When Duke sees even stronger competition in NCAAs, Williams will have to reassert herself as the go-to post player.

With five of its previous six games against ranked opponents, Duke has escaped its toughest stretch of the season with a 5-1 record despite an injury to its All-American and difficulties on offense. The Blue Devils’ inside presence on both ends of the floor has kept them afloat, but the team must get its offense in order to have a chance at a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.

Share and discuss “Duke's post proves decisive” on social media.