Chronicle elects Darby next editor

The editorial staff of The Chronicle has elected sophomore Seyward Darby to serve as the newspaper’s editor for its 101st year of publication.

At a meeting Friday afternoon, Darby, now the newspaper’s University editor, was named editor of The Chronicle and president of Duke Student Publishing Company, Inc., the independent corporation responsible for publishing the campus’ student-run daily newspaper.

Darby will succeed junior Karen Hauptman for a one-year term beginning May 15.

As editor, Darby will determine the newspaper’s content and lead a staff of more than 100 student volunteer reporters, editors, photographers and layout designers.

Her responsibilities as DSPC president will include preserving the corporation’s dual mission of providing journalism opportunities for Duke students and delivering information to the community.

In her speech, Darby offered the staff an agenda that focused on increasing efficiency in the production process, raising standards for quality control and building up communication among the staff.

“We have incredible potential—so many strengths to build on and so much room to grow,” Darby said. “We do not need change for change’s sake; we need to step back and, as a constructive team, rethink the way we do things so that we can improve the way we lead, communicate and operate and enhance the product we present to our readership.”

Darby said that recruitment and retention would be key priorities in the coming year and that she would concentrate especially on the retention of upperclassmen on staff. Greater mentoring opportunities among the staff, she said, will help facilitate retention on all levels.

During her term as University editor, Darby worked with about a dozen associate editors to cover all aspects of campus affairs. Staff members report that Darby has been a dedicated reporter with boundless enthusiasm and many fresh ideas. As wire editor, she trained and managed a staff of between six and 10 associate wire editors and was responsible for the content and selection of wire articles. Wire articles are written by non-Chronicle staffers and usually report national and world news.

Darby began her career at The Chronicle as a reporter for the University and City and State departments during the first semester of her freshman year. She also served as an associate wire editor during the second semester of her freshman year and as an associate city and state editor during the first semester of her sophomore year.

One month after Hauptman’s February 2004 election, she appointed Darby associate City and State editor and wire editor.

Hailing from Greenville, N.C., Darby is an English major and plans to earn a minor in political science and a certificate in journalism. After graduation, she intends to attend law school or graduate school and pursue a career in political journalism or public relations.

Share and discuss “Chronicle elects Darby next editor” on social media.