The independent news organization of Duke University

Wolfpack swims past Duke with swift sprints

Duke’s swimming and diving teams suffered a disappointing loss Saturday in what might have been their only chances for ACC victories this season. N.C. State men’s (1-1, 1-1 in the ACC) and women’s (3-1, 1-1) teams defeated the Blue Devil men’s (1-2, 0-2) and women’s (1-2, 0-2) squads, even though Duke won a combined eight events.

“I think we were happy with how we swam,” co-captain Chrissy Anderson said. “As our coach said, we can’t control how the other team swims, we can only swim our own races. At this point in the season and at this point in training, I think this was a strong meet.”

The Blue Devil women had a strong showing in relays, posting first-place finishes in both the 400 medley and the 400 free. The team of Michelle Aristeo, Amy Brown, Katie Ness and Julia Lewis bested N.C. State’s top team by three seconds in the medley relay. Lewis went on to lead the free relay team, which also included Danielle Spearman, Nora Stupp and Alison Sundberg, to another first-place finish in a time of 3:33.91.

“Julia is always a strength as far as our freestyle sprinters go,” Anderson said. “We can always count on her to swim well.”

The women’s team notched two additional victories in individual races. Duke finished one-two in the 50 free as Lewis continued her solid performance in the meet by scoring the win and Spearman placed second. Jackie Rodriguez also turned in a decisive first place swim in the 200 breaststroke, finishing nearly four seconds ahead of her closest competitor.

The men were best at the 200-meter distance, swimming their way to a first or second place finish in four of the five events contested at that length. Matt Rinehart posted the first victory of the day for the Blue Devil men in the 200 freestyle. John Humphrey continued the scoring efforts with a first place finish in the 200 IM and second place in the 200 butterfly. Kevin Arthofer and Andy Storm capped off the men’s swimming competition with first and second places, respectively, in the 200 breast.

“Matt Rinehart had a really great race in the 200 freestyle,” Anderson said. “We were really proud of his performance.”

Tim Hyer was the highest placing diver in the meet, winning the 3-meter platform and coming in second in the 1-meter competition.

“We’re looking forward to taking on N.C. State again in the ACCs,” Anderson said. “I think we should have a good chance to beat them later on in the season.”

Duke will contest its first home meet of the season Saturday against East Carolina.

Share and discuss “Wolfpack swims past Duke with swift sprints” on social media.