At season's final bell, Roof looks forward

The Victory Bell has been ringing loud in the Yoh Football Center for almost a year now, and its ownership will be on the line once again when North Carolina comes to Wallace Wade Saturday. The game against the Tar Heels signifies much more than a battle over a bell, however. It has the potential to define the immediate future of the Duke program..

The Victory Bell has been ringing loud in the Yoh Football Center for almost a year now, and its ownership will be on the line once again when North Carolina comes to Wallace Wade Saturday.

The game against the Tar Heels signifies much more than a battle over a bell, however. It has the potential to define the immediate future of the Duke program and will mark the final contest of a class of seniors that has persevered through a difficult era.

“This is my last game at home versus Carolina, I wouldn’t want it any other way,” linebacker Giuseppe Aguanno said. “Especially after beating them last year and getting that bell back and coming off a win, to me it means everything and I’m sure it means pretty much that to most of the team right now.”

The Blue Devils’ struggles have been well documented. Early-season injuries depleted Duke, especially on the defensive side of the ball when senior co-captain Phillip Alexander broke his leg and was lost for the season. The offense struggled to find an identity as senior Chris Dapolito and sophomore Mike Schneider battled for the starting quarterback role.

And through it all the Blue Devils remained optimistic and persistent, fighting through heartbreaking defeats and missed opportunities.

“It would have been really easy for some individuals to pull the plug,” head coach Ted Roof said. “We came in and anticipated to have a better record but we didn’t. The leadership and the core and the work ethic and the preparation haven’t varied, and I really have a lot of respect for our seniors for providing that.”

Week after week, Roof praised his players’ steadfast commitment but expressed his disappointment in the results. He lauded the improvements they were making on the field but criticized their failure to execute late in games. It was clear that despite the progress, no one in the program was satisfied with the results.

The hard work and dedication finally paid off Saturday when senior kicker Matt Brooks nailed a 53-yard field goal for an emotional 16-13 win over Clemson. Yet stopping the Tar Heels’ bowl hopes this Saturday would send an even stronger message about the direction the Blue Devils are headed.

“If you look back at this year, and you guys are going to think I’m nuts, but a play or two in a couple ball games and all of a sudden we’d be talking about Duke playing for bowl eligibility this week,” Roof said.

Instead the Blue Devils have the chance to salvage an otherwise disappointing season and spark optimism for next year. Duke gained confidence heading into the off-season after last years’ 30-22 victory against North Carolina, and Roof said it cemented his hiring as the full-time head coach.

“It really catapulted us into the off-season, into the training and to preparing,” Dapolito said. “It just really solidified the fact that we can win and be a successful program in the ACC.”

The Blue Devils, however, only returned 13 starters from a year ago and have managed just a 2-8 record this year. But with an incredibly young team, Duke has just begun to show flashes of its potential.

“With the new systems, the new coaches that we have and the amount of young kids that played, I really think we laid down a good foundation to build upon for next year,” Dapolito said. “I think offensively, with the amount of young guys that played, especially the receivers, and Mike having another two years they really have a good understanding of the offense.”

That groundwork can be strengthened Saturday with a win. After capturing the Victory Bell for the first time in 13 years, none of the players want to see it leave Durham and its home outside the Blue Devils’ locker room.

“[The bell] represents a victory in an outstanding rivalry in college football,” Roof said. “When you look at all the great coaches and all the great players that have participated in this game, it’s an honor and a privilege for our players and our staff to participate in this rivalry, and one that we hold in very high esteem.”

Share and discuss “At season's final bell, Roof looks forward” on social media.