No. 3 seed Duke vies for ACC tourney title

The volleyball team rolls into the postseason this weekend with a first-round bye after finishing the regular season with three straight victories.

The No. 3 Blue Devils (19-9, 10-6 in the ACC) will face No. 6 Virginia (19-10, 9-8) tonight in the second round of the ACC Tournament at UVa’s Memorial Gym in Charlottesville, Va. The Cavaliers defeated No. 11 N.C. State 3-1 Thursday night to advance.

Along with No. 1 Georgia Tech and No. 2 Miami, who also enjoy first round byes, Duke holds an advantage over the other eight teams, who would need to win a grueling four matches in as many days to capture the ACC title.

Still, Duke head coach Jolene Nagel stressed the importance of remaining focused and tenacious during practice and throughout the tournament, attributing her team’s recent success to her players’ hunger on the court.

“The second half of the ACC season, we’ve really tried to make sure we’re playing as aggressively as we can, bringing that energy and that effort each time out,” Nagel said. “If we come with the energy that we need, that effort from everyone, then I really feel comfortable that we can do well.”

The Blue Devils will need to continue their high level of play, as Duke split a pair of regular-season matchups with the Cavaliers. The Blue Devils handled Virginia well in the teams’ first meeting, defeating the Cavaliers in four games. UVa dominated the Blue Devils in their most recent meeting at Charlottesville, as Duke lost in a 3-0 sweep.

“The last time we played [Virginia] they kept the ball in play and kept hitting it back at us,” Nagel said. “UVa has done a good job of ball control—getting the ball back to their hitters so their hitters can do something with it.”

This week in practice, the team watched videos of Virginia in an effort to correct some of the weaknesses the Cavaliers exploited in the teams’ last contest.

“We have to make sure that we’re crisp and we have to make sure that offensively we’re getting our feet to the ball so we hit where we want to hit against their defense,” Nagel said. “So the timing issue and the servicing issue are the things you have to do daily so you make sure you don’t lose them.”

Nagel looks to senior Stephanie Istvan, who was named to the All-ACC first team Wednesday, as well as sophomore Second Team All-ACC Tealle Hunkus and All-Freshman Team members Carrie DeMange and Ali Hausfeld to anchor the squad.

“[Istvan] has really done a great job of playing solid defense back there and holding the team together,” Nagel said. “Her service has been very consistent and she motivates. I think she’s someone that’s been very important to us and has helped lead all the other people.”

If the Blue Devils defeat Virginia tonight, they will face the winner the game between No. 2 Miami and No. 7 Maryland.

Although Nagel remains confident that her team will be successful this weekend, she was quick to point out that any team is capable of pulling out a victory.

“It’s really hard to predict who we’re actually going to play,” said Nagel. “I definitely think it could be anyone’s opportunity this weekend.”

Share and discuss “No. 3 seed Duke vies for ACC tourney title” on social media.