Coach G suspends Harding

Head coach Gail Goestenkors suspended junior Lindsey Harding indefinitely Wednesday after a violation of team policy. The duration of the suspension is uncertain, but Goestenkors said it is "not likely" that Harding will return for the season opener Nov. 12 against Davidson. Harding did not dress for Wednesday night's exhibition game against the EA Sports All-Stars, but the point guard sat on the bench as the Blue Devils cruised to an easy victory.

Head coach Gail Goestenkors suspended junior Lindsey Harding indefinitely Wednesday after a violation of team policy. The duration of the suspension is uncertain, but Goestenkors said it is “not likely” that Harding will return for the season opener Nov. 12 against Davidson.

“I apologize and feel like I let down myself, my team, my coaches and Duke University,” Harding said in a statement. “I have been going through a difficult time and will do everything in my power to make it up to all of them. I appreciate the support everyone has given me.”

Harding did not dress for Wednesday night’s exhibition game against the EA Sports All-Stars, but the point guard sat on the bench as the Blue Devils cruised to an easy victory. The co-captain will continue to practice with the team and has retained her leadership position despite the suspension.

“We are disappointed as Lindsey has played an important role on our squad over the last two years,” Goestenkors said.

In Wednesday night’s scrimmage, a variety of other players shared the point guard duties, including Jessica Foley and Wanisha Smith.

“Our lineup looks different without Lindsey in there and moving Jess to the point,” Goestenkors said. “She’s getting comfortable in that position and Wanisha [Smith] being a freshman, we just need to get her as many minutes at that spot as we can.”

Harding has dominated the point guard position for the last season and a half. The 5-foot-8 guard was selected to the All-ACC third team and started all but one game during her sophomore year. With 168 assists, she came within two of setting the Duke single-season record while averaging 6.8 points and 4.5 rebounds for the ACC champions.

In addition to her offense, the junior earned an All-ACC Defensive spot with her tenacious defense leading to 2.0 steals per game.

“She was always on the ball for us and setting the tone defensively,” Goestenkors said.

With Harding’s familiar face most likely out of the lineup, Duke will make adjustments on both sides of the court before tipping off against Davidson Nov. 12 at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

“It’s going to be a team effort bringing the ball down the floor and getting us into our offenses,” Goestenkors said. “There’s not that one person that is a true point guard with the kind of experience Lindsey has.”

Share and discuss “Coach G suspends Harding” on social media.