Commits visit campus for weekend

Two members of the women’s basketball team’s recruiting class of 2005 spent the weekend on campus for their official visits.

Abby Waner, a 5-foot-10 guard from Highlands Ranch, Colo., verbally committed to the Blue Devils at the end of April. The three-time high school All-American has led her team to two consecutive Colorado State Championships. Waner’s sister, Emily, transferred from Colorado this fall and will begin playing in the 2005-06 season.

Keturah Jackson, a 6-foot-1 wing player, is the most recent addition to the four-member class. Even though she verbally committed to Duke in June over home-state program South Carolina, Jackson still took an official visit to North Carolina before visiting Duke.

Jackson’s weekend on campus, however, cemented her verbal commitment.

“When I first came back in April, I thought I liked [Duke], but I fell in love it [this weekend],” Jackson said. “I’m playing for Duke. I’m not changing my mind.”

Specifically, the self-described shy player liked the “relaxed” atmosphere both within the basketball program and on campus. This weekend, Jackson said, she got to know the current players, who all “have each others’ backs and really care,” and the coaches, who “care about you as a person.”

A quadriceps strain during conditioning last week forced Jackson to sit out a scrimmage with current Blue Devils this weekend. Jackson said she should be back running by Wednesday.

Waner and Jackson met on the court this summer at the Women’s Youth Developmental Festival in Colorado Springs, Colo., and at the Nike All-American Camp. The two players had not spoken at length until this weekend.

“Abby is the total opposite of me. She will talk to anyone, and she makes you feel comfortable,” Jackson said. “This was the first time I got to know her. I know already that she is a great player.”

Waner and Jackson join Carrem Gay, a 6-foot-2 wing from New York, and Brittany Mitch, a guard from the Washington, D.C. area, in the recruiting class.

Share and discuss “Commits visit campus for weekend” on social media.