SPORTS  |  GOLF

Lang leads Duke to Fall Preview win

TTTTT

The women’s golf team displayed no ill effects from a disappointing finish to the 2003 season. The Blue Devils bounced back from a third-place showing at last year’s NCAA Championship to take the 2004 NCAA Fall Preview for the second consecutive year.

The Blue Devils were locked in a battle with Washington throughout play Wednesday and secured the championship down the stretch. Duke sank clutch birdie putts and was three under after the 15th. Washington saw its chances at victory slip away as it shot two over on the final four holes.

“My experience is that when a team has the right energy and plays as a unit, good things will happen, as they did for us today,” head coach Dan Brooks said. “I saw everything I wanted out there, winning was just the icing on the cake.”

Brittany Lang, who finished third overall, sank a pair of birdie putts on the last two holes to secure the six-over-par victory. The sophomore set the pace for the Blue Devils in the opening round Monday, setting a school with her seven-under 64, and continued her strong play in the final two rounds.

After falling behind the Huskies by three strokes early Wednesday, Duke made four birdies on the fourth hole, energizing the team and setting the tone for the rest of the day. The two teams proceeded to swap the lead until the eight hole, when a pair of double bogeys dropped Washington to two over par and gave Duke a lead it never relinquished.

At the turn, Duke clung to a two-shot advantage, and during the back nine, the Huskies remained within striking distance.

However, a pair of chip-ins from Anna Grzebien and 2003 NCAA Player of the Year Liz Janangelo on the 14th and 16th holes, respectively, helped expand Duke’s lead before Lang’s key birdie putts finally defeated Washington.

“We’re all very supportive of each other and managed to stay patient even when we were having tough luck with putts falling,” said Janangelo, who placed eighth overall in the tournament at two over par.

The Blue Devils beat the Huskies by six strokes with Oklahoma State, Arizona State and Auburn rounding out the top five. The Tigers made a late push Wednesday, shooting a tournament-best round of six under par, but they failed to make up for poor first and second rounds.

After only playing in three tournaments last season, the team’s only senior, Niloufar Aazam-Zanganeh, contributed to the team’s victory this week. She played consistent golf all tournament and had her best showing Wednesday with an even-par round.

Freshman Jennifer Pandolfi struggled some on The Meadows Course in Sunriver, Ore., shooting 16 over par on the week. The early woes, however, do not bother Brooks.

“Jen brings a great attitude to the game and it’s simply a matter of time until we see a lot of great golf out of her,” Brooks said.

In May, the Blue Devils will return to the same Oregon course to avenge their frustrating finish in 2003. As it looks to repeat last year’s perfect fall season, Duke will travel to Nashville next week to compete in the Mason Randolph Championship.

“This win was very important for our confidence and a great way to get momentum going,” Janangelo said.

Share and discuss “Lang leads Duke to Fall Preview win” on social media.