Durham struggles but takes Game 1

The Durham Bulls, two-time defending champions of the International League, quietly clinched a playoff spot last week. They were so quiet, in fact, that only 1,160 fans, nearly 6,000 people below the season average, showed up to see the Bulls start their playoff run Wednesday.

Durham’s quest for its third consecutive Governor’s Cup began with a 2-1 victory over the North Division champion Buffalo Bisons.

In a sloppy game full of mental and physical mistakes, the Bulls triumphed thanks to a timely hit and solid pitching. Durham’s designated hitter Pete LaForest delivered the game-winning blow in the sixth inning when he hit an opposite field home run off Buffalo’s starting pitcher Kyle Denney.

Durham’s bullpen, which has been solid all season long, capitalized on the lead LaForest gave it. Seth McClung and Jeremi Gonzalez combined to throw three shutout innings, giving up one hit, while striking out five of the final six hitters. Bulls’ manager Bill Evers was not concerned with the number of strikeouts, though.

“[It was] a great stretch of getting outs,” Evers emphasized. “I don’t care how we get ‘em.”

One of the turning points in the game came in the top of the seventh inning, when a great defensive play preserved Durham’s one-run lead. The Bison’s Brent Abernathy led off the inning with a single and advanced to third on a ground out and wild pitch. Brandon Phillips then hit a high chopper up the middle. McClung missed the ball with his bare hand, but shortstop Luis Ordaz made a sparkling play, snaring the ball, spinning and firing a one-hop strike towards first base. Jason Maxwell, the Bull’s first baseman, who earlier in the game made an error on a ground ball, redeemed himself by scooping Ordaz’s low throw to end the inning.

“[Without] the play Ordaz made up the middle with the runner on third and the scoop by Maxwell... we’d still be playing,” Evers said.

Durham and Buffalo each picked up a run early in the game. The Bulls got on the board with a Keith Osik sacrifice fly in the second, and the Herd broke through on a Ryan Garko sacrifice fly in the fourth.

Although both teams had numerous other opportunities, this was all of the scoring, save for the LaForest home run. The teams combined to go 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position. Durham had six-of-eight leadoff batters reach base, but none would cross the plate.

Durham’s offense may have been unable to knock in runners because Tampa Bay recalled a pair of the Bulls big hitters. International League all-star Matt Diaz joined the Devil Rays a week ago when big league rosters expanded, and erstwhile cleanup hitter Midre Cummings left Durham for Tampa Bay Wednesday before the game.

The call-ups have left the team with an unbalanced lineup for the playoffs. For possibly the first time in professional baseball history, the Bulls have more catchers on their roster (4) than outfielders (3). Evers said the loss of players like Cummings and Diaz should not matter.

“Why would it? These guys know what is at stake. They worked hard to get here and no matter who you lose, somebody is gonna step up and do the job. Given the opportunity, hopefully they can come through. All the guys pulled together,” Evers said.

The Bulls continue their championship run Thursday before the series shifts to Buffalo for up to three games this weekend. If the Bulls win the series, they will face the winner of the Columbus-Richmond series in the International League finals. Weather postponed Wednesday night’s game in Columbus. The game has been rescheduled for Thursday night.

Share and discuss “Durham struggles but takes Game 1” on social media.