SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke preps for tests against in-state foes

Last year the game’s score was 7-0, but this year figures to be different.

The women’s soccer team (6-2) traveled cross-state to Davidson (5-3) in 2003 and humiliated the Wildcats in their own stadium. Today Davidson pays a visit to Durham reloaded and ready for revenge. Under first-year head coach Greg Ashton, Davidson expects to be in the game.

“Last year was kind of a freakish thing,” Duke head coach Robbie Church said of the lopsided victory. “It’s usually a much closer game.”

Davidson has already played No. 19 Wake Forest, losing 4-2 in a close contest, and the Wildcats should not be intimidated by the streaking Blue Devil team.

“They are very organized and they believe in themselves,” Church said of the Davidson team. “I think they were a little embarrassed last year and they are looking forward to the opportunity to come here and play well.”

With two goals and three assists in eight games, junior Kara Koehrn provides much of the offensive firepower for Davidson. She scored a goal in the game against Wake Forest and knows what it takes to play well in big games. Four years ago, Koehrn was a recruiting target for the Blue Devils but chose to play at Davidson instead.

“She is an outstanding player,” Church said. “We’ve got to stop her. She’s somebody we have to know where she is at all times on the field. She’s able to slice through the defense and finish.”

But Davidson is not the only team with offensive firepower. Duke senior captain Casey McCluskey has been on a tear, scoring six goals in the team’s last three games, all Blue Devil wins. In fact, Duke has won its last four contests by a combined score of 15-0.

Both McCluskey and Church attribute the Blue Devils’ recent run to an increase in focus and team play.

“We’re just clicking really well right now,” McCluskey said. “Everyone is playing hard and playing like we’ve got a chip on our shoulder.”

Church echoed her sentiments.

“The overall focus and attitude of the team is right now where we’re really all on the same page,” Church said. “They’re all working hard for each other and accepting the roles that have been laid out for them.”

Although the matchup against Davidson is not exactly a traditional rivalry, there is a certain element of tension between the two teams. They play each other every year, they are both located in North Carolina and they recruit the same student-athletes. Last year’s big win by Duke only adds to the competitiveness between the two teams.

“Both teams are going to be playing very hard,” Church said. “[Head coach] Greg [Ashton] has them playing very well, and we’re playing very well, so it should be a great matchup.”

Each team has something to prove. Davidson wants to show that they are a different team from last year, while wants to show that last year was not a fluke.

Duke could be upset, however, if gets caught looking ahead to their extremely tough ACC schedule. Sunday they travel to Winston-Salem to play No. 19 Wake Forest, followed by games against No. 12 Florida State, a tough Miami team and No. 4 Virginia.

Sunday’s contest against the Demon Deacons could have major postseason implications. Wake Forest (6-1-1) is ranked ahead of the Blue Devils in most national polls, and a win would give Duke confidence going into the rest of its ACC season. Church, however, refuses to look ahead.

“One of our goals for the year is to play one game at a time,” he said. “We have a motto that every team we play is a nameless, faceless opponent. We understand that every win is important.”

Share and discuss “Duke preps for tests against in-state foes” on social media.