Another side of PSM

The Chronicle’s profile of the Palestine Solidarity Movement, which portrays the group as seeking a peaceful resolution, neglects some very important facts regarding the group. Its co-founders, Adam Shapiro and Huwaida Arraf, have stated on their website their admiration of suicide bombing, which they state are “no less noble” than their forms of activism.

The International Solidarity Movement (ISM), PSM’s sister organization, has in fact actively cooperated in terrorist operations and suicide bombings. Omar Khan Sharif and Asif Mohammed Hanif, the perpetrators of the Mike’s Place bombing in Tel Aviv, sought harbor, aid and contact with the ISM at its Rafah office. The ISM also gave cover to Shadi Sukiya, a leading member of Islamic Jihad, in Jenin and attempted to prevent the IDF from destroying a bomb lab in Nablus in Aug. 2003.

Just as frightening are the PSM’s activities in the U.S. As recalled in a sworn affidavit, participants at the 2002 conference were heard chanting, “Chrad al-yahud,” or “Annihilate the Jews.” This chant reveals possible motives behind the divestment campaign, which has been noticeably silent on actual atrocities committed in Sudan.

This is the true face of an organization that seeks to “support Palestinian resistance ‘in all its forms’” in its ultimate goal: a Palestine “from the (Jordan) River to the (Mediterranean) Sea” and thus the annihilation of Israel and her people.

Joshua Solomon

Trinity ’05

Share and discuss “Another side of PSM” on social media.