Author David Sedaris talks all sorts of pretty

NEW YORK -- David Sedaris, known for both his sardonic, best-selling books and his dynamic public performances, seemed right at home in the basement of a small independent Manhattan bookstore on a hot June afternoon. He was like a human Google, moving quickly through a range of topics, but leaving each inquisitive fan satisfied. Where to stay in Bangkok? Well, at the Oriental, of course, where they "chew your food for you." No college graduation gift? No problem for two recent NYU grads, to whom Sedaris gave a dollar each in return for buying his book.

At this recent book reading, Sedaris's humble nature, small statue and quirky outfit--a pink shirt and green checkered tie--seemed far removed from the strong, satirical style of his books. But don't be fooled. It is this avant-garde temperament that Sedaris has used to win audiences over in his famous, hilarious discussions.

Sedaris has also perfected this persona in his three hit novels--Barrel Fever, Holidays on Ice and Me Talk Pretty One Day-- focusing on his childhood in Raleigh, the struggles of growing up gay and the years he spent wandering the United States, uncertain of what he was doing with his life. It was during this time that Sedaris first took an interest in writing and started jotting down his tales on diner napkins. These diary entries soon morphed into published works.

As Sedaris' status in the literary world increased, his style matured. Yet in his latest book, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, Sedaris continues to focus on the oddities of his middle-class childhood. For instance, in the essay "Hejira," he uses his traditional humor to enliven the difficult situation of his father kicking him out of the house because of his homosexuality.

Sedaris confesses that whatever he writes about, he does for one reason: He likes attention. It is the same reason that the best-selling author routinely speaks and signs books all over the nation. His appearances also allow him to test out new material, as he took out a little red notebook and pen as he spoke to fans at his latest event, leaving them to wonder if they would become the subjects of Sedaris' future stories.

David Sedaris will speak at Duke Friday, October 22.

Share and discuss “Author David Sedaris talks all sorts of pretty” on social media.