COMMENTARY - The weighting game

I don't think it's technically one of the signs of the apocalypse, but I was strolling through the supermarket when I saw low-carb pasta. Pasta, what runners are supposed to eat before a big race to give them the energy they need to perform at their peak, has been robbed of its function--carbohydrates. What's next?

Low-carb soda? And, what do you know, Coca-cola has released C2, half the carbs and half the calories as regular Coke. Also known as Diet Coke. Except that Diet Coke has no carbs and no calories. Just drink Diet Coke.

Like every summer, the nation has once again been swept up in diet fever. With celebrities that swear by Atkins, South Beach and the Zone, dieting has become this decade's anorexia. This is a healthier trend, since depriving yourself of food will undoubtedly take tons of willpower and a toll on your body. Almost everyone wants to lose weight, look nice in a bathing suit, have a "dank bod." Atkins and all the others promise you that.

So, what do we think of this low-carb/no-carb frenzy? It sounds awfully familiar, like a name of somebody we knew once and cared for, but then forgot about. Once upon a time, before Atkins took over the world faster than Starbucks did, low-fat was the tune they all were singing. To lose weight, cut out the fat in your diet. It was as simple as that. For decades, low-fat dictated our lives. When it seemed this method was failing us, experts said, "Whoops! Did we say low-fat? What we meant to say was low-carb." When low-carb kicks out, will it be low-sugar? And then low-vitamins, low-protein, low-[insert nutrient that is integral for a working body here]?

Everywhere you turn, it's low-carb this and no-carb that! Even beer has succumbed to the demons in low-carb land. We all know that too much beer will give you a beer gut, but no more? I will admit that there was a time when I thought I'd give Atkins a try. Sadly, I lasted about five hours. I know some people who have done it for longer though. Actually, a friend of mine was on Atkins before it was the cool thing to do. Three or four years ago, she went on Atkins and lost 20 pounds. It was dramatic and very fulfilling; but ultimately, it made her miserable. As she watched her friends eat the bread they serve at restaurants without thinking twice, she had to restrain herself and show that she could beat the urge to partake of the fluffy, bready goodness. Soon, she gave in and her pants gave out. But that was before Atkins was simple to follow. Now, everybody and their mother (literally) live by it.

There is a reason that everyone has found the miracle of low-carb: It works. I don't have to go into the physiological workings because, well, everybody already knows. However, like any diet, it is a life-style change. The reason why it is not as easy to keep the weight off is because we can all fall victim to cheating. "A slice of bread won't kill me" turns into "a loaf of bread slathered in butter over a bowl of pasta and rice is actually good for me." The wonders of Atkins and other diets are true, which makes the actual substance of this column harder to convey.

What's bothersome is the self-perpetuating notion that losing weight is easy as cake; or rather protein bar. Every other commercial for food has a low-carb twist to it. Yes, it caters to those who need to find healthy alternatives to devilish white bread, but isn't it a little much? Advertisers talk about it because it's what we want to hear, but it's what we want to hear because we're faced with it at every corner.

When the low-fat bandwagon first appeared, I'm sure it was successful; or else, it would've disappeared to Trimspa and Xenedrine oblivion. But, somehow, we just continued to fatten up. Maybe the low-carb will turn into the low-fat of this generation. If so, be aware. There is no easy way to lose weight. I've learned this the hard way, and many others before me know. I'm not preaching like some super-fitness guru because I'm definitely not. Not even remotely close. However, if I've learned anything, from countless hours of VH1's Rock Bodies and pages of stupid fitness magazines, it is this. The best and healthiest way to lose weight? Eat less and exercise more. Take in less calories than you expend.

Simple, huh?

Not satisfied?

Well, good luck trying to avoid carbs for the rest of your life. I wish you the best of luck; and if you can do it, then you are a much stronger person than I.

Sarah Kwak is a Trinity sophomore.

Share and discuss “COMMENTARY - The weighting game” on social media.