W. Golf takes ACC crown

The Duke women's golf team has dominated its competition this entire year, and at this weekend's ACC Championships at the Salem Glen Country Club in Clemmons, N.C. things were no different.

Brittany Lang captured the third individual title of her freshman campaign, as the No.1 Blue Devils shot 14 under par en route to winning their ninth-straight ACC crown by 19 strokes over Wake Forest.

"We played very well," sophomore Liz Janangelo said. "I think what made the difference was that everyone was very supportive of one another, and we really came together as a team and that showed in our score."

Duke shot the best round of the tournament and a school record Sunday as it carded an 11-under 273, two strokes better than an impressive Demon Deacon team that finished five-over-par for the weekend.

Leading the way all weekend for the Blue Devils was Lang. She was four under par through her first seven holes and finished with a 67 Friday, but still trailed North Carolina golfer Meaghan Francella by one stroke.

Both Lang and Francella shot two-under 69 in Saturday's action. The highlight of the round came on the fourth hole when Lang sank a 40-yard pitch for eagle on the par five. However, a double bogey just two holes later negated the eagle and was the only blemish on her front nine.

For the McKinney, Tex. native, Sunday's round was simply a continuation of her hot play.

"I was pretty confident coming into [Sunday]," Lang said. "I've been playing great, but I've been missing some putts. I just went out there with a lot of confidence and could see another round in the 60's."

Lang tied Francella with a birdie on the 13th hole and then capitalized on the Tar Heel's bogey on 15, as she was able to take the lead and hold on for the victory. While excited about her win, Lang's focus continues to be on improving her play.

"I think coming to Duke was the best thing for my game," Lang said. "I've learned so much from playing with this golf team and playing with these great players. Obviously playing with better players you're going to get better."

Through the first two days of action, the Blue Devils found themselves up 14 strokes on North Carolina. However, they had yet to play their best golf. Janangelo, although tied for eighth heading into the final day, had turned in consecutive rounds of 73. Anna Grzebien opened Friday with an even-par 71, but struggled Saturday with 5 bogeys and a double bogey.

Sunday's action was much different. After reverting back to the golf ball she had played with during the fall and replacing the grip on her putter, Janangelo had seven birdies and just two bogeys and finished tied for fourth at 1-under par. Grzebien rebounded from her performance to shoot three-under and finished tied for 11th.

"Today was a little bit more like Liz," Duke head coach Dan Brooks said. "That's what she is capable of."

Brooks also added praise for Grzebien's resiliency.

"I was real excited for Anna," he said. "That just shows what she's made of. A person like Anna is not going to be down very long."

Not to be overshadowed were Blue Devils Leigh Anne Hardin and Virada Nirapathpongporn, who finished tied for seventh at one-over-par for the tournament. Hardin was even on her final round, while the senior birdied her final hole of the day but still shot a 72.

In winning the ACC Championship, Duke secured its ninth tournament victory of the season. Brooks has no worries about his team slowing down as they look towards the NCAA regional and championship.

"I think we've got a lot of really driven athletes," Brooks said. "They all have personal goals. I think they are achievers and people that want to get better and always work on getting better. That's what drives them. I don't think winning is the only thing that's driving them."

Share and discuss “W. Golf takes ACC crown” on social media.