What's so funny?

The cast of Inside Joke insists that they, in fact, are not D.U.I., Duke's improv troupe. They are a sketch comedy group that performs a number of pre-written skits, mocking everyone from fraternities to Dr. Seuss. The team of 14 puts on around three free shows a semester, the next of which will be Saturday night at the Hideaway at 8:00 p.m. Their final production, on April 16-17, however, will have an admission price. The proceeds go to charity--or so they say.

A fairly young organization, Inside Joke has its amusing moments. Though the hilarity probably won't leave you rolling in the aisles, you will find yourself laughing. Like any sketch comedy show, there will be awkward moments when actors forget their lines or when the sketches just aren't all that funny; but on the whole, Inside Joke does a pretty good job of differentiating the good from the bad.

"We just want the audience to have fun," managing director Matt Schewel said. "We do it for ourselves, our friends and the audience."

Veteran member Jordan Pollack has a different idea.

"I think we do it because we have an obsessive need to be validated by strangers."

While not all of the skits in Saturday's performance are related to Duke, they do satirize fraternities and sororities, as all good comedy groups should. There is a brief and amusing encounter with Theodore Geisel and a not-as-funny one with the Teletubbies, though some of the members do a wickedly good impression of the creepy buggers.

Watching the show, the difference within the group, a mix of mostly freshmen and seniors, is apparent. While the upperclassmen carry themselves with greater confidence on stage, the younger members are a bit less experienced, which affects the flow. Some of the acting is overdone, but in a comedy show, overacting is far from the worst offense. Nonetheless, all of the skits are smart and witty. They provide plenty of laughs and don't have to resort to potty humor, though they do at times. Some of the more experienced actors know how to deliver punchlines like professionals and have even tackled some physical comedy--though whether it is intentional or not is debatable.

The greatest part of the group, though, is the unrelenting desire to be better. They continue to search for the best way to achieve this because they are still learning. Without as much street credibility as some of the other performing groups on campus, they are hoping to create their own identity, and with time and experience, there is no doubt Inside Joke will find a permanent niche in comedy at Duke.

Share and discuss “What's so funny?” on social media.