MLWC celebrates new location

The Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture held its grand opening Wednesday in its newly renovated facility on the second floor of the West Union Building.

James B. Duke Professor Emeritus of History John Hope Franklin was the keynote speaker of the event, providing warm words about the center's new location.

"This is a much more splendid setting. I'm so happy that it has come up from the basement," Franklin said.

President Nan Keohane said the new location will help to increase the center's presence on campus. "It allows us to make this center more visible and provide a deeper sense of commitment on the part of this community," she said.

Franklin echoed Keohane's sentiments, foreseeing a larger role for the center at the University. "This place should never be regarded as a place of isolation where only certain people come," he said. "It should be a center for everyone for all time."

In addition to the hopes and praises for the new center from University leaders, Assistant Dean of Arts and Sciences Caroline Lattimore provided a history of the center. She said for nearly 15 years, the student body and black community at the University campaigned for a black cultural center until a space was provided in the old University mail room.

Despite the center moving from such an isolated location, Lattimore said the fight for recognition is not over. "Yes, Dr. Franklin, we are out of the basement, but the struggle continues for the black culture's integration into American culture," Lattimore said.

Franklin also mentioned the importance of remembering struggles he and other blacks faced at universities around the country, including Duke--where at one time he was forced to use separate eating and restroom facilities.

"As we enjoy this splendid place that it is, I hope we can reflect on the experiences that those before us had," he said.

Share and discuss “MLWC celebrates new location” on social media.