Goals abound: Blue Devils beat VMI

In a sloppy shootout last night, the Blue Devils' men's lacrosse team defeated VMI (0-1) 18-11.  

Sixth-ranked Duke (2-0) took 52 shots in the contest and was led by senior attack Chris Haunns' five goals.  

The Blue Devils started the game impressively as they scored three goals within the first five minutes. Sophomore Dan Flannery took advantage of VMI goalkeeper Matt Hook as he was caught out of net and put in the second goal.

Then Matt Danowski, who finished with three goals and four assists, served a ball over his shoulder to Haunns for an easy goal in the front of the net and a 3-0 advantage.

"I don't think we shot well, 52 shots and only 18 goals," Duke head coach Mike Pressler said. "I don't think we played that poorly on offense, but I was truly disappointed defensively giving them 11 goals today."

The Blue Devils' defense was outplayed at times as it allowed 26 shots and was a step behind the VMI offense.

"I think I was disappointed that we didn't play as well defensively as I had hoped but I've got to give VMI credit; they are a much better team than we played a year ago," Pressler said.

The Keydets were persistent all night, as they fought back and tied the game at five when Adam Belzer netted a goal.

Every time VMI went on a run, Duke countered with one of its own. Recapturing the momentum after the Keydets tied the game at five, the Blue Devils ripped off four consecutive goals.

To push its advantage to 9-5, Duke stole a Keydet pass and with three quick passes, set up an easy goal for Haunns. At times, the Blue Devils' offense was moving the ball particularly well and hitting open cutters but failed to capitalize on many scoring opportunities throughout the contest.

"We didn't play well," Flannery said. "We scored 18 goals but we didn't shoot that well."

With a 10-6 halftime margin, Duke came out sluggish in the second half, giving up two quick goals before putting the game out of reach with a four-goal spurt of its own.

The teams traded goals the rest of the way, as neither team could gain an edge on the slippery field.

"We were sloppy throwing the ball all over the place, with some unforced turnovers," Haunns said. "At points we showed signs of what we are capable of doing but it just wasn't a well played game altogether."

Saturday, the Blue Devils will take on No. 2 Maryland in their first ACC game of the season.

"This one is behind us," Pressler said. "We take it and move on. We're looking forward to the game Saturday."

Share and discuss “Goals abound: Blue Devils beat VMI” on social media.