Executive vice president candidates boast experience

The position necessitates experience, and electors will not be disappointed--all four candidates for executive vice president of Duke Student Government bring to the table comparably extensive experience with and knowledge of the organization.

But while their credentials might be similar, candidates Russ Ferguson, Elizabeth Ladner, Priscilla Mpasi and Andrew Wisnewski vary greatly in the approaches they have suggested for increasing the organization's efficiency.

Current Executive Vice President Clifford Davison said he is pleased with this year's marked difference in the number of candidates--he had only one opponent last year--and noted the benefit of the candidates' previous experience with DSG.

"All have some experience, which is desired," Davison said. "For the executive vice president, freshness is a disadvantage. Candidates should be familiar with the way DSG functions in order to be a successful executive vice president."

Ferguson, a sophomore who currently chairs the subcommittee on graduate-undergraduate communication, hopes to capitalize on his experience as he runs for executive vice president for the second time. In addition to highlighting his two years of experience as a senator, Ferguson also emphasized his involvement in student organizations across the board.

"The executive vice president is an internal position and relies heavily on experience," he said. "Not just [from] DSG, but also across campus.... My experience is in bringing things together."

In order to realize more immediate results for DSG, Ferguson plans to focus on specific, short-term issues--such as placing computers and ePrint stations in the Bryan Center and creating loading and unloading zones for student cars--rather than becoming consumed by long-term planning.

"A lot of long-term planning goes on, which is really admirable to do when you're not going to be here to see results," he said. "But there's so much long-term planning that we forget the short-term planning--and that's what really affects students. I'd like to see little things to help students, to make Duke a better place by getting these done and done now."

Ferguson also suggested using the DSG website to make every senator's voting and attendance record available to the public and improving enforcement of the attendance policy. "The executive vice president needs to enforce the attendance policy, which is currently not really enforced. You're there or you lose [voting] rights," he explained.

Similar to Ferguson's primary focus on providing direct benefits to students, Mpasi, a junior who is currently a representative on the University's internal communications committee and formerly served as DSG president pro-tempore, also believes her main responsibility is to serve students. She stressed communication between DSG and the University administration, as well as between DSG and the student body, as the proper method for improving service to students.

"Communication will ensure that all student voices are heard... and that students are aware not only of issues, but of what dialogue is taking place," Mpasi explained.

Specifically, Mpasi wants to expand DSG's public resources department and create student task forces that would be able to concentrate on specific issues and ensure that goals are accomplished--for example, a financial aid task force.

With her experience in a variety of student groups, including the Catholic Student Center and Project BUILD, Mpasi noted that "working with many groups allows for more awareness of issues reaching many different groups." In addition to her direct contact with diverse organizations, she emphasized that she is a student herself and thus understands student concerns.

In contrast to Mpasi's focus on improving the relationship between DSG and the student body, Ladner, a junior and president pro-tempore for two years running, said she plans to fix administrative flaws and improve the organization's internal structure.

Most notably, Ladner would split the role of the executive vice president for future years.

"The roles the executive vice president has right now are so diverse... including both executive and legislative roles," she said. Because she attributes DSG's inefficiency to "an inherent problem in the structure," by assigning the executive vice president either the legislative or executive duties, but not both, she hopes to increase efficiency.

Additionally, Ladner said, "the executive vice president sets the tone for the organization," and she emphasized the importance of enthusiasm, organization and openness. "Students have to feel that they can approach you," she said.

Wisnewski, a junior and currently vice president for community interaction, also said personal qualities are essential in such a demanding position. "An executive vice president needs persistence to work every week and stay on the ball," he said. "I also have enthusiasm--the energy to work, and assertiveness--[so] whatever work I choose to do gets done. They seem contradictory, but it's a great mix."

His platform rests on increased management efficiency and accountability and a focus on "realistic committee goals." He suggested the executive vice president attend vice presidents' committee meetings every week to increase efficiency and transparency.

To improve accountability, Wisnewski emphasized the necessity of defining DSG members' roles. "You have all the students working together for an outcome, but if you know what you're doing, it's easier to address the problem," he explained.

Wisnewski also suggested better use of the public forum time during DSG meetings, to make students more aware of DSG activities and increase accountability, and a plan he shares with Ferguson to post minutes online to inform the student body of DSG's progress.

Although the role of the executive vice president is mainly management of the issues the president and other vice presidents bring forth--rather than specific agenda-setting--the four candidates expect to encounter similar issues next year, especially campus renovations,     

Curriculum 2000, campus safety and annual review.

Commenting on this year's candidates, Davison remarked that he was pleasantly surprised to find four students vying for the role, which he said demands more time than any other position within DSG.

"I am thrilled to see four contestants that are willing and determined to take on the position," he said. "Normally it's hard to find people who are willing to, since the position has the longest hours."

Davison said he disagreed with many candidates' opinion that the flaws of DSG are rooted in its structure. Instead, he placed responsibility on the individuals that make up the organization. "[DSG's efficiency relies on] whether the personalities have the potential to meet the bylaws or not," he said.

But despite the candidates' varying approaches to DSG efficiency and accountability, they will likely face the main challenge Davison's identified for the executive vice president.

"One of the main issues the executive vice president candidates face every year is finding a way to balance each of the issue of the four vice presidents below you," he said, "[and] not savoring one vice president's issues over another."

Share and discuss “Executive vice president candidates boast experience” on social media.