Duke picks up major DB recruit

Football coach Ted Roof and the Blue Devils got an early start on their 2005 football recruiting class Tuesday with the commitment of defensive back Marquis Melvin.

"I've committed to Duke," Melvin told TheDevilsDen.com. "You can't get a better education or get into a better academic environment, and the chance to step in and be able to play right away closed the deal."

Standing 6-foot-2 and weighing in at 198 pounds, Melvin projects to safety at the collegiate level. A tremendous athlete, Melvin sports impressive weightlifting numbers, including a bench press of over 300 pounds, and a 4.45 forty-yard dash time. The Whiteville, N.C. standout also plays basketball for his high school.

Melvin may be one of Duke's top football commitments in recent memory. An All-Conference selection at both defensive back and wide receiver, Melvin is considered one of the top prospects in the state by theinsiders.com. The star safety was also receiving college interest commensurate with his status. Penn State had reportedly given him an offer, and Maryland, North Carolina State, North Carolina and South Carolina had all shown serious interest.

Information from theinsiders.com and TheDevilsDen.com were used in creating this report.

Share and discuss “Duke picks up major DB recruit” on social media.