And Who Are the Contenders

Who will win it all? That is the pivotal question any aspiring pundit will inevitably face. As fun as it is to correctly guess the winner of that first round UAB-Washington game, there is nothing more important than filling the center square on your bracket.

So who will contend for that coveted space? Well, if you have the courage to say "not Duke," there is actually a nice list of possible champions from which to choose.

Topping the list of contenders is Kentucky--the No. 1 seed overall in the NCAA Tournament rolled through the SEC Tournament and vanquished FlFellow SEC member Mississippi State will also have a legitimate shot at cutting down the nets in San Antonio. By no means should the Bulldogs be intimidated by the familiar soverall in the NCAA Tournament rolled through the SEC Tournament and vanquished FlFellow SEC member Mississippi State will also have a legitimate shot at cutting down the nets in San Antonio. By no means should the Bulldogs be intimidated by the familiar sights of Starksville; they posted a 13-0 road record this year. Mississippi State's torrid play can be largely attributed to the spectacular performance of junior Lawrence Roberts, the SEC Player of the Year who has averaged a double-double since transferring from Baylor.

Then there is Connecticut--the preseason No. 1 whose title hopes are very much dependent on the health of Big East Player of the Year Emeka Okafor. Although the Huskies have played very well in Okafor's absence, thanks in large part to the superb Big East Tournament play of junior Ben Gordon, they could be in serious trouble if they are forced to play without the NCAA's top shot blocker and second-best rebounder.

In the Big-12, one team stands head and shoulders above the rest:

Oklahoma State. The Cowboys dominated their conference--their only two losses in the Big-12 came on the road against Missouri and Texas Tech. The Cowboys defeated Texas three times over the course of the season, including a 65-49 victory in the Big-12 championship game.

Finally, there is Stanford. The Cardinal fell short in its attempt to become the first team since UNLV to go into the NCAA Tournament undefeated after it stumbled against Washington in its final regular season game. It has since returned to its winning ways, however, by sweeping through the Pac-10 Tournament and avenging its loss to the Huskies in the Pac-10 championship game.

Although the list of contenders is long, by no means is it comprehensive. The beauty of the NCAA Tournament lies in the ability for any team to reach the pinnacle of college basketball, and the 65 teams that are willing and able to attempt the climb.

Share and discuss “And Who Are the Contenders” on social media.